Kippers..........

acron^

Dislikes
Diabetes?
This morning I had two boild-in-the-bag Kippers and some scrambled egg.

It's the first time I've ever had Kippers and they were yuck! I seriously think I'm going to be sick...it was hours ago but i can still taste them. Urgh. I feel terrible.

/rant

ATSBod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I like kippers (occasionally).
I just hate scrambled eggs! :|
Each to his / her own, I suppose...

... Jim

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I like kippers AND scrambled eggs, but not in the same meal. I eat small meals and that sounds like a LOT :evil:

TheTartanPimpernel

Never have boil in the bag kippers.

Try buying "White" kippers - that is natural hot or cold smoked Herring rather than the usual variety which is dyed and sees very little smoke like the garish yellow boil in the bag types. Remove the head and tail, place skin side down on a plate and clingfilm. Make a few small holes in the clingfilm and microwave for 2.5 to 3 minutes. The main bone should pop out on its own. No smell in the cooking and finely tasted smoked fish. If you get a hot smoked variety you don't have to 'cook' them at all, just flake the meat of the bone.

Same goes for smoked haddocks, Arbroath smokies or smoked Cod (or for that matter smoked anything) - avoid those that are dyed yellow, they should be a very pale straw colour, slightly oily to the touch with some translucency in the flesh.

Try smoked Halibut as an alternative to smoked Salmon. If you can lay your hands on it smoked Dover Sole is a real treat as is smoked Cods Roe. You can also get very good smoked Octopus and Squids in tins.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
I love kippers but I think they are rather like Marmite - you either love 'em or hate 'em - there's no middle ground.

John H

Boil in the bag kippers are repulsive. Proper kippers, on the other hand, are heavenly. If you can get to Waitrose, try their Craster Kippers - I've never tasted better, even in Craster!

John H

brill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Country & Western!
Mmmm.... I must try those. Love kippers at the time, but they do repeat on you all day.