(Lack of) stress and fasting

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having spent several months trying to get back on the fasting trail - put some weight back on last year which needs to come back off - I have finally achieved it over the past week or so. The reason? Stress/cortisol, or the absence of.

Was puzzling for weeks why something that used to come so easily was proving virtually impossible aside from the odd day here and there. Managed to drop some weight in Jan and Feb, but not to use OMAD and sometimes even found the need to eat 3 times a day. Cue March and a combination of illness and lockdown saw trips to the fridge and the eating of convenience (albeit low carb) foods such as nuts, nut butter, extra thick cream, cheese, was on the increase again, along with the waistline.

I’m now on a 2 week period of annual leave following several months of extreme work stress. Initially I resented the fact that work decided that all pre booked annual leave (I was due to be in New York) had to be taken during lockdown, but an enforced staycation with a very long daily walk and the ability to chill and eat as preferred has kick-started my fasting. Have been able to finally regularly eat OMAD, or at least a very restricted 3-4 hour eating window over the past 6 or 7 days. As well as upping exercise (long walks) my hunger is right down, as are cravings and I’m feeling good.

The challenge now will be to maintain that.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done, I hope you achieve your goal and manage to keep your weight steady. I too have been eating less well, blame the stress, but have decided that is not an excuse so back on the wagon. I was unable initially unable to fast as I was underweight (critically underweight after my 2nd hip replacement, 6 and a half stone) so I have has to regain the weight and I find the kore I eat the hungrier I am!!