1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

(Lack of) stress and fasting

Discussion in 'Fasting' started by Goonergal, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Having spent several months trying to get back on the fasting trail - put some weight back on last year which needs to come back off - I have finally achieved it over the past week or so. The reason? Stress/cortisol, or the absence of.

Was puzzling for weeks why something that used to come so easily was proving virtually impossible aside from the odd day here and there. Managed to drop some weight in Jan and Feb, but not to use OMAD and sometimes even found the need to eat 3 times a day. Cue March and a combination of illness and lockdown saw trips to the fridge and the eating of convenience (albeit low carb) foods such as nuts, nut butter, extra thick cream, cheese, was on the increase again, along with the waistline.

I’m now on a 2 week period of annual leave following several months of extreme work stress. Initially I resented the fact that work decided that all pre booked annual leave (I was due to be in New York) had to be taken during lockdown, but an enforced staycation with a very long daily walk and the ability to chill and eat as preferred has kick-started my fasting. Have been able to finally regularly eat OMAD, or at least a very restricted 3-4 hour eating window over the past 6 or 7 days. As well as upping exercise (long walks) my hunger is right down, as are cravings and I’m feeling good.

The challenge now will be to maintain that.

• Winner Winner x 12
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Arab Horse

Arab Horse Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well done, I hope you achieve your goal and manage to keep your weight steady. I too have been eating less well, blame the stress, but have decided that is not an excuse so back on the wagon. I was unable initially unable to fast as I was underweight (critically underweight after my 2nd hip replacement, 6 and a half stone) so I have has to regain the weight and I find the kore I eat the hungrier I am!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook