Lactose Intolerance?

CosmicOwl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have noticed recently that if I have a cup of tea with a splash of milk (no sugar) that my blood sugar levels increase significantly! Like from 5.3 to 8 on an empty stomach. This has never happened to me before, and I am wondering if this could be an indicator of lactose intolerance?

I do have other symptoms on the list, nausea and bloating especially, so if anybody has had the same happen to them and got diagnosed with lactose intolerance I would love to know!

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @CosmicOwl, I'm lactose intolerant but have never noticed an increase in my BG levels if I consume lactose.
Have you noticed intolerance symptoms when consuming other lactose-containing foods?

CosmicOwl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @CosmicOwl, I'm lactose intolerant but have never noticed an increase in my BG levels if I consume lactose.
Have you noticed intolerance symptoms when consuming other lactose-containing foods?

Not yet, only the milk in my tea so far! How unusual...I am planning on keeping an eye on it, but I also have an eating disorder (I am in treatment for it) so I don't eat much/enough right now, meaning the spikes are confusing me even more.

GPs are also not taking me seriously so I don't know what the cause may be! All I know is the spikes happen even on an empty stomach after my drinks! Same happens for either tea or coffee. Drinking a cup manages to keep me from having a hypo as my sugars sit around the 5 range typically. I just don't get why it increases so much from just milk lol

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could it be the caffeine in the drinks? I know that can cause spikes for some people. It might be worth trying some lactose-free milk or a plant milk to see if your BG still rises the same way (I think oat milk is quite carby though!) While lactose doesn't cause me to have BG rises doesn't mean it's not causing yours. I'm sure some other people will be along later to give their thoughts on the matter :)

CosmicOwl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could it be the caffeine in the drinks? I know that can cause spikes for some people. It might be worth trying some lactose-free milk or a plant milk to see if your BG still rises the same way (I think oat milk is quite carby though!) While lactose doesn't cause me to have BG rises doesn't mean it's not causing yours. I'm sure some other people will be along later to give their thoughts on the matter :)

I've not noticed it go up like that when I have other caffinated drinks without dairy, but I will definitely keep an eye on this too! Thank you for your help so far!

Reactions: sleepster

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
milk raises my blood glucose significantly too - but in my case it isn't the lactose. I think it is the whey, since any whey protein shakes have an even more marked effect. Fortunately, it means that I can still eat dairy if the whey had been removed, and can tolerate it if only small amounts are present. So I enjoy hard cheeses, double cream and butter.

If I were you, I would switch to lactofree for a while, and see what happens. But you do need to be vigilant. There are a heck of a lot of foods that include lactose that don't look like they would. So keep an eye on the labels. :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have noticed recently that if I have a cup of tea with a splash of milk (no sugar) that my blood sugar levels increase significantly! Like from 5.3 to 8 on an empty stomach. This has never happened to me before, and I am wondering if this could be an indicator of lactose intolerance?

I do have other symptoms on the list, nausea and bloating especially, so if anybody has had the same happen to them and got diagnosed with lactose intolerance I would love to know!

Yep, I'm intolerant to dairy, but I'm also intolerant to a group of foods that have carbs.
Milk depending on wether the amount of carbs in will raise my blood sugar levels.
As well as other symptoms. The higher the carbs, the higher the spike, the more fat, the less the spike!

Butter, cheese, and milk tend to not spend a lot of time in my stomach, as I want to bring it back up. Yoghurt is the only dairy I can stomach but it has to be full fat, I have a few spoonfuls with some berries as my only dessert.

Keep safe

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Hello.
What other medication are you on? These things sometimes interact.