Lactose Intolerence

lj1921

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all
Was just wondering if anybody has had the same experience as myself - I have for several months suffered with the trots 4 or 5 times a day and excessive wind. About a week ago it was like a light switched on in my mind that it was happening after having cereals in a morning and during the day when having hot drinks 'MILK' was the cause so i stopped having milk for a couple of days and i was fine no trots, then a couple of days later i had a salad with cheese and guess what back with the trots so now no dairy for a week and no trots Dr confirms Lactose Intolerence and will be giving me Calcium supplements - My point is for others who like me are suffering and thinking it is the tablets it might be an idea to stop dairy products to see if it makes a difference. Hope this will help someone.

veggienft

I have celiac (coeliac) disease, and am lactose intolerant. Celiac disease often carries lactose intolerance with it. I only discovered my celiac disease after years of lactose intolerance. One of the main symptoms of celiac disease is erosion of the villi, which are small intestine wall protrusions.

Lactose is a complex sugar. It must be broken into simple sugars before use. We process lactose during intestinal absorption. The tips of the villi chemically separate lactose into its simple constituent molecules and absorb them into the bloodstream.

There could be other reasons for lactose intolerance. But celiacs who have insufficient villi tips are incapable of digesting or absorbing lactose. The lactose passes into the lower digestive system. Its acidic properties cause erosion, and its sugary nature grows harmful bacteria. The bacteria consume the lactose, and cause other problems.

Cheese and yogurt are fermented with beneficial bacteria. They consume most of the lactose. Try eating white cheeses. Yellow cheese has added harmful annatto dye. "American cheese" has added lactose. Avoid both.

Incidentally, sucrose is also a complex sugar. We digest sucrose in the same way, using villi. Compromised villi cause the same types of digestive problems with lactose and sucrose.