Type 2 Lactulose

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
Does Lactulose raise blood sugars? I have bee advised to take it and have previously been prescribed it, since I’ve been diabetic, but the pharmacist said I shouldn’t take it as I’m diabetic.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used it some time ago now, (low carb diet bunged me up to begin with :() but on testing it did raise my blood sugars a little. I upped my intake of seeds and use Senna tablets very occasionally now instead. The only way to know for sure if it affects you is to test your blood sugars yourself. Do you have a meter?

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Lactulose does contain sugar and isn't really recommended.
Ask your Gp for an alternative.

Dark Horse

Information from the NHS:-

Can people with diabetes take it?

Yes, usually they can. If you have diabetes, ask your doctor or pharmacist whether this medicine is suitable you.

If you have diabetes and are taking normal doses of lactulose for constipation, the medicine will have little, if any, effect on your blood sugar levels.

However, if you have diabetes and need to take high doses of lactulose for many months, the medicine may affect your blood sugar levels. In this case, monitor your blood sugar levels carefully and share the results with your doctor. Your diabetes treatment or diet may need to be adjusted.

People with diabetes often think that lactulose is the same as lactose - a sugar that can dangerously raise blood sugar levels. But lactulose is very different. It's a manmade sugar that is broken down in the bowel so very little gets into the bloodstream.
https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/lactulose/

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you for the replies. The pharmacist was reluctant to sell it to me, but didn’t suggest an alternative. I have been told to take regularly as it is important to a avoid constipation as I have pelvic organ prolapse. Perhaps I’ll buy some at a different pharmacy and test or look into an alternative as I’ll probably have to use it long term.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I had to use that stuff in the latter stages of pregnancy (many, many years ago). It was revoltingly, disgustingly sweet. Wretched boy was lying awkwardly. I knew then that he was going to be both the light of my life, and the biggest thorn I had ever come across!

I haven't needed anything like that since but could you ask your doc about Fybogel? It's very gentle and suitable for long term use.

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Fybogel - I’ll look into that, thank you