LADA

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed in 2020 that I was type 2 pre diabetic and was told that this was reversible.
However two weeks later I was told it wasn’t and I was prescribed metformin which did not agree with me at all,I was then put on gliclacide and then was far better.
In June last year I was told that my pancreas was no longer producing insulin and therefore I had to start injecting.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Andrew Wallace and welcome to the forums.

Do you now have an official LADA diagnosis? (Some long term T2s can produce less insulin because high blood sugars can damage insulin producing cells).

While I appreciate this is disappointing because it isn't reversible, there are some plus sides. In particular, T1s in the UK get much better diabetic tech (libre/cgms and in the long term possibly a pump) and also much more dietary freedom.

As a long term T1 (53 years) it has its annoyances but I quite like being able to manage my own doses of insulin and having the option to inject for my meals.

Hopefully by now you've got used to managing hypos (oh how I hate them) and T1/LADA is becoming more manageable?

Once more , welcome.

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been told that I’m still in the honeymoon period and my pancreas is still producing insulin,my blood sugars are so erratic though

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I’ve been told that I’m still in the honeymoon period and my pancreas is still producing insulin,my blood sugars are so erratic though
Some people like the honeymoon period because it means less insulin but I can understand the erratic issue.

All I can say is that if you wait it out things should improve.

Reactions: Hopeful34