Lancet For Alternative Site Testing

sweaty betty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My lancet broken today so I phoned Bayer for a replacement. Only problem is that the microlet 2 has been discontinued and the only alternative is the "next" version that doesn't allow alternative site testing.

Does anyone know where I can get a lancet device that allows alternative site testing??

D

Deleted member 308541

Does anyone know where I can get a lancet device that allows alternative site testing??
My Accu-Chek MultiClix allows for alternative testing, not sure about my FastClix though.

Edit: The FastClix can be used for alternative tests, just had read of the leaflet that came with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
What's alternative site testing??? (As I use lancets without a device I can use them wherever I like. :))

sweaty betty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Alternative site testing is where you use a different cap on the lancet so you can test blood on your arm, leg etc. Saves your fingers

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Alternative site testing is where you use a different cap on the lancet so you can test blood on your arm, leg etc. Saves your fingers

Sweaty Betty (great name!), I think most lancet devides come with an adaptor for alternative testing sites. That's only a feeling, as I haven't ased any alternative sites, so usually end up just putting the adaptor "in a safe place" and forgetting about it.

If you really, really like the Microlet device (I use one too), then you can still acquire them, from eBay and the like, but of course, that'd be at your own cost: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BAYER-MI...w=microlet&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

If your device was provided by your Doc/Nurse, you could give them a call and see if they have one lurking in a drawer or cupboard somewhere.

Is it your whole device that's broken, or just the adaptor tip? If just the topi, I could probably have a rummage and see if I could fine mine (that hasn't ever been used), and dop it into the post in a jiffy bag to you.

sweaty betty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks! A kind poster has offered to send me one of theirs .

But it's worth saying that last time my microlet failed they said that they no longer supplied the adapter tip, then the new one doesn't have one at all (I'm told). Luckily the tip was still working, but it won't fit on the new version.

I contacted another company whose meters had alternate site adapters but they also were a bit vague about whether they stocked them or not.

I use the libre mostly but need to do blood tests for driving etc. Ihave always had a problem with finger pricks, so alternate site testing literally saved my life.

It will be a shame if companies are phasing them out...

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks! A kind poster has offered to send me one of theirs .

But it's worth saying that last time my microlet failed they said that they no longer supplied the adapter tip, then the new one doesn't have one at all (I'm told). Luckily the tip was still working, but it won't fit on the new version.

I contacted another company whose meters had alternate site adapters but they also were a bit vague about whether they stocked them or not.

I use the libre mostly but need to do blood tests for driving etc. Ihave always had a problem with finger pricks, so alternate site testing literally saved my life.

It will be a shame if companies are phasing them out...

Have you tried using the normal tip on your arm, or wherever you test from?

JeremySE18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just follow up, and if you can afford it, the Genteel lancing device is purpose made for alternate site testing. It comes with 2 tips which can be loaded with any of the 6 depth gauges supplied.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just follow up, and if you can afford it, the Genteel lancing device is purpose made for alternate site testing. It comes with 2 tips which can be loaded with any of the 6 depth gauges supplied.

I'm sure the Genteel is lovely, but £100 seems quite a sum for a lancing device. Do you use it yourself?