Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The BBC and others have been reporting this release from the Lancet about diets
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-47734296

The BBC report strongly suggests a Flexitarian approach globally is needed. The Skye report did not, but did say more whole grains and seeds are needed, along with reductions in salt intake

According to the Lancet, their article is based on a study done in 2017, and I provide a link here
http://www.healthdata.org/sites/default/files/files/policy_report/2019/GBD_2017_Booklet.pdf

This study does not provide recommendations, and a search of it reveals that the terms Wholegrain, grain or nut or seed is not mentioned at all in the text. So the conclusions and recommendations for us now as given in the Lancet article have been added by others other than the study researchers.

So far all the news reports I could find link back to the Lancet, and the Lancet does not make reference to any other sources, and so I conclude that the conclusions and recommendations were authored by Lancet staff who are not acknowledged in their article as co authors. Therefore I conclude that the Lancet is a commentary piece, and not a scientific research publication at all.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see Springmann and Willett are on the collaborator panel... enough said..

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is front page news in the Daily Fail, where it says something along the lines of we do not eat our five a day, need more fruit and veg, more wholegrains, less saturated fat, less salt, less processed meat and much more fibre.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I see Springmann And Willett are on the collaborator panel... enough said..
Also funded entirely by Bill and Melinda Gates, which explains why the original study does not appear to have been placed in a reputable scientific archive. It is not a normal institutional executed study, but is a private capital venture. The authors do not seem to have the normal biopic to identify them.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is front page news in the Daily Fail, where it says something along the lines of we do not eat our five a day, need more fruit and veg, more wholegrains, less saturated fat, less salt, less processed meat and much more fibre.
IE Eatwell. No prob there. What worries me is that the Lancet is concluding by saying it is time we stopped thinking about nutrients, but just the food itself. This is dangerous territory and it is laying the groundwork for promoting diets without taking account of any dietary deficiencies. The nutrients listed in the Lancet article are Protein, sugar, fat, but totally omits carbs.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And as if by magic

Screenshot 2019-04-04 at 10.07.04.png

http://www.healthdata.org/news-rele...ople-globally-tobacco-and-high-blood-pressure

Reactions: AloeSvea
M

Member496333

Hey guys, everyone is dying from eating the food we told them to eat, what are we going to do about it?”

“Dunno really, tell them to eat even more of it?”

“Good idea.”

Sometimes I despair.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I see the healthdata report also quotes Dr Ashkan Afshin, who is also associated with Springmann and Willets. I think we have found their new mouthpiece.
I see that Dr Afshin is a co-author of the Lancet report being aired on tv today. At least the Wail trotted in a mixture of commentators, including Alison Tedstone, and did not add beyond Eatwell, which we all know as standard fare.

Reading between the lines it seems Washington State University in Seattle is responsible for the original study,

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
If you read zoe harcombe's latest blog you will be pleased to see she demolishes it nicely.
Computer modelling which means you put in certain biased info and out comes the answer you want.
Not worth the waste of electricity and the authors do not deserve even an Ignobel prize for the trashy thing
they wrought!!.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Like most stuff that makes the tabloid headlines, it's garbage.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you read zoe harcombe's latest blog you will be pleased to see she demolishes it nicely.
Computer modelling which means you put in certain biased info and out comes the answer you want.
Not worth the waste of electricity and the authors do not deserve even an Ignobel prize for the trashy thing
they wrought!!.
Unfortunately more people read the newspapers, and read the Lancet, and believe absolutely in the veracity of their reporting than have ever heard or read Zoe Harcombe. I used to have Lancet as an authorative source too until I saw their Collaboration with Eat Lancet and their use of non independantly reviewed science reports.
Also unless you use twitter, it is difficult to find what Zoe is saying on anything.

Last edited:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I subscribe to her blog - so I receive the full summary !!
I appreciate twitter is easier to get the immediate gist of things though !!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
So do any of you actually know people that make long term changes to their diet on the basis of articles on the BBCor Daily Mail? I have never met one.

M

Member496333

So do any of you actually know people that make long term changes to their diet on the basis of articles on the BBCor Daily Mail? I have never met one.

Pretty much everyone I know puts their trust in the nutritional flimflam that they read in the mainstream press. Five-a-day, healthy whole grains, vegetable oils, saturated fat, calories, cholesterol etc. etc. etc.

So for me personally, the answer to your question is a definite yes :D

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
In the past it was called propaganda!!
Nuthin' 'proper' about it at all, I reckon!!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Speaking of Willets Afshin, and Springmann, this is a link to a report in BMJ about what the WHO thinks of their other collaboration with the Lancet
WHO pulls support from initiative promoting global move to plant based foods
BMJ 2019; 365 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.l1700 (Published 09 April 2019) Cite this as: BMJ 2019;365:l1700

Considering several other people in their collaboration were WHO Directors, who have now been forced to admit their new allegiance to the Lancet dietary iniitiatives whereas before they were claiming dual identities so were using their positions in WHO to speak on behalf of the Global Diet initiaive run with the Lancet, they are now having to fully move to the Lancet and resign from WHO. Francesco Branca is one who is mentioned in this artcle.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Speaking of the Daily Mail. Starting tomorrow is a series of articles by Dr. David Unwin , including recipes, on how to beat diabetes. Now that should be a good read.

Reactions: Tophat1900

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Pretty much everyone I know puts their trust in the nutritional flimflam that they read in the mainstream press. Five-a-day, healthy whole grains, vegetable oils, saturated fat, calories, cholesterol etc. etc. etc.

So for me personally, the answer to your question is a definite yes :D

Gotta agree, too many people seem to imo get their education on most things in life from the TV or some publication owned by some media magnate. Which is why so much of it is opinionated rubbish.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Speaking of Willets Afshin, and Springmann, this is a link to a report in BMJ about what the WHO thinks of their other collaboration with the Lancet
WHO pulls support from initiative promoting global move to plant based foods
BMJ 2019; 365 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.l1700 (Published 09 April 2019) Cite this as: BMJ 2019;365:l1700

Considering several other people in their collaboration were WHO Directors, who have now been forced to admit their new allegiance to the Lancet dietary iniitiatives whereas before they were claiming dual identities so were using their positions in WHO to speak on behalf of the Global Diet initiaive run with the Lancet, they are now having to fully move to the Lancet and resign from WHO. Francesco Branca is one who is mentioned in this artcle.

"Consumer freedom of choice". In a nutshell.

Reactions: Tophat1900