lancets and diabetes readers on plane?

JHPH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi there,

am travelling to UK and can't find much on where to put these things, but there is some discussion in checked bag not carry on bag.?

i won't test blood sugars until i arrive at the airport so don't need them on the plane.

The doctors letter states my medications ect with all details on it.

however it doesn't state on the letter that testing lancets and reader on the doctors letter.

all the airline says is sharps are not allowed, no mention about lancets

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My reader and lancets are not mentioned on my letter but I travel with them hundreds of time. No one knows or cares about your lancets - they are too small to notice.

JHPH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thanks for your response. do i put them in the checked baggage the ones that go underneath the plane..?

and also with scripts, some diabetes sites are saying carry scripts as well as medication. even though scripts from my country wouldn't be valid in the UK

r0wl4nd91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Neither the Belfast City airport or airport in Reus Salou seemed to care much when I let them know I had bits and bobs with me on recent travel. Almost as if they didn't want to offend when they saw the medical bits. Of course, your mileage may vary.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
thanks for your response. do i put them in the checked baggage the ones that go underneath the plane..?

and also with scripts, some diabetes sites are saying carry scripts as well as medication. even though scripts from my country wouldn't be valid in the UK
I was advised to always carry all medical equipment and treatment in your hand luggage. Your checked luggage may not make it to the destination at the same time as you.

If you do not have a letter from your doctor, the scripts may be used as proof the medication is for you. They are not to enable you to get additional medication at your destination. It is always recommended to carry at least twice as much of everything than you think you should need.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Neither the Belfast City airport or airport in Reus Salou seemed to care much when I let them know I had bits and bobs with me on recent travel. Almost as if they didn't want to offend when they saw the medical bits. Of course, your mileage may vary.
I never tell anyone about my medical equipment unless they ask. It is personal information that I do not want to share and should not need to.
It is very very very rare for them to ask or care.
My only exception is that an insulin pump should be x-rayed. I will highlight my pump if asked to go through a full body scanner. But the metal detector arch is fine.

JHPH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thanks very much. does they medication, lancets etc have to be on a tray during the x ray?

needles are allowed in carry on baggage?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
thanks very much. does they medication, lancets etc have to be on a tray during the x ray?

needles are allowed in carry on baggage?
No. Just keep it in your bag. They are only concerned about long sharp object. I think it is something like over 6cm.
Security and airlines have no interest in 'tiny" sharp items like lancets.
The only reason for highlighting any medication is if it is in liquid form (e.g. insulin). In that case it needs to be in a clear bag and separated from the rest of your hand out