Lancets, cats and stupid

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just tested before sleeping, outch. Oh right, pricking has been hurting for a couple of days (or more ?), I should really change my lancet tomorrow . You know what, I'll get out of bed and do it now, it will be my present to myself upon waking up! So got out, found a new lancet and felt really pleased with myself for changing it within a month (or so).
I unscrewed the cap of my pricker, put it next to me on my bed, exchanged lancet (took some time, as this is not very much routine), tried to catch the cat as it went off with the cap of my pricker and scratched my leg quite spectacularly with my uncovered pricker.
Neither cap nor cat was to be found again. Of course I have an extra prickersomewhere , but no, I'm not going to get out of bed againto find it. I'll probably curse myself first thing tomorrow morning when I try to jab myself at a depth of 3,5 with a capless lancet.
Don't you just love diabetes?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the hug, @Tipetoo , but really, it's more funny than sad. And I happen to have a black bedsheed, so even the bloody scratch will leave no marks in the end :)

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol, I don't think your cat likes you very much ;) I recall it once attacked your libre too

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Tipetoo and @phdiabetic , I do not really need the hugs , but I'll thoroughly enjoy them as bedtime hugs. Usually I only get those from the dogs, so getting a couple of human hugs is very nice for a change :) Goodnight and a good hug back of course!

BananaK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m just posting so I get notified when the morning update arrives.

I’m blind, so don’t need any pets to lose things like needle caps, lancets, strips, whole insulin pens... haha

I hope morning you appreciates bedtime you efforts.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My cats like to head-butt whatever pointy thing I’m currently trying to perforate myself with...

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My cats like to head-butt whatever pointy thing I’m currently trying to perforate myself with...
Yes, they do. And if they don't notice, there's still the dogs that jump barking over over my lap when injecting because they think there might be a bird outside, leaving me with no clue how much insulin got in me and how much got lost.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll probably curse myself first thing tomorrow morning when I try to jab myself at a depth of 3,5 with a capless lancet.
That went rather well, but I'm still happy I found the cap back when I went to feed the chickens. It was in the garden, a bit chewed on (I guess one of the dogs stole it from the cat), but it still fits my pricker!

Reactions: Sue192

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Antje77 ,

I must admit I'm more a dog person. :)
But.
A good number of years ago (10/12?) this strange cat just walked into our new home & would either nap on the futon, or come to the fridge where he seemed to take an interest in my insulin...? Not the food contents in the fridge, just the insulin.. He would silently mew if I performed an airshot to bolus... He pretty much made a habit of it for a while....

We gave this cat a name. "MrMankypuss."
This cat would often drop by & I managed to get a couple of pictures of it...

Soooo, asking round one day, a neighbour said "don't feed that cat." "Why?" I asked intrigued, "He's on a special diet, he's diabetic!"
That explained a lot with this cat! His real name was Whiskey!

image.jpeg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Antje77 ,

I must admit I'm more a dog person. :)
But.
A good number of years ago (10/12?) this strange cat just walked into our new home & would either nap on the futon, or come to the fridge where he seemed to take an interest in my insulin...? Not the food contents in the fridge, just the insulin.. He would silently mew if I performed an airshot to bolus... He pretty much made a habit of it for a while....

We gave this cat a name. "MrMankypuss."
This cat would often drop by & I managed to get a couple of pictures of it...

Soooo, asking round one day, a neighbour said "don't feed that cat." "Why?" I asked intrigued, "He's on a special diet, he's diabetic!"
That explained a lot with this cat! His real name was Whiskey!

View attachment 25312
This is the best story of today! Whiskey probably felt his bg was too high, so came begging for some insulin!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m just posting so I get notified when the morning update arrives.

I’m blind, so don’t need any pets to lose things like needle caps, lancets, strips, whole insulin pens... haha

I hope morning you appreciates bedtime you efforts.
I'm really impressed by people who are blind and can find anything back. I see very well and still lose everything you mentioned and more, even without help from my pets. But I managed to stab myself without the cap and not create a bloody mess upon waking :)

Oh, and just posting doesn't give any notifications on this forum when there are follow-up posts. At least not when using a computer or smartphone whithout special features for people who are blind, so it might be different for you.
For us seeing people you can click on 'watch thread' directly at the right top of the first post in a thread. No idea how that translates to the way you read this forum, and possibly you know all this already, but I thought to mention it just to make sure.

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is the best story of today! Whiskey probably felt his bg was too high, so came begging for some insulin!

Probably? Not knowing at the time the feline was a fellow D.
But what I had was way too strong for a cat. The "Vetsulin" brand for cats or dogs is U40?
As opposed to the U100 we would take..

Maybe he associated the smell of insulin with a daily routine...?
Personally. I would find it easier to keep an eye on a diabetic dog than a cat..

My old ex boss had a diabetic Jack Russel.. I've seen it hypo. Throw it a biscuit quick..!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I would find it easier to keep an eye on a diabetic dog than a cat..
I'm happy I'm the only diabetic in my household and don't have to test and inject my pets as well. In hindsight, I had a guinea-pig die from diabetes shortly before my own diagnosis, but what did I know?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm happy I'm the only diabetic in my household and don't have to test and inject my pets as well. In hindsight, I had a guinea-pig die from diabetes shortly before my own diagnosis, but what did I know?

My old boss had to chase his dog round the garden with pee strips with regards to BS control... (This was back in the late 1980s.)
Oddly, there is a surprisingly high amount of carbs in a tin of dog food. Let alone the mixer...

Though, these days (aparently.) you can blood test a dog with a lancet to the ear?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My old boss had to chase his dog round the garden with pee strips with regards to BS control... (This was back in the late 1980s.)
Oddly, there is a surprisingly high amount of carbs in a tin of dog food. Let alone the mixer...

Though, these days (aparently.) you can blood test a dog with a lancet to the ear?
I have an older dog who's had it's share of uti's ,including a 3 day stay at the vet's following shock from 'nierbekkenontsteking' . (That's Dutch for an infection of like where your kidneys are but not your kidneys. I think.) It scared the s☆☆t out of me to see my dog so ill. After that, it's got two more uti's, so guess who regularly walks the dog with a ladle handy to get its urine checked? Yes, we look real crazy when I'm trying to catch a few drops of dog-pee.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lol, I don't think your cat likes you very much ;) I recall it once attacked your libre too
Is it a technophobe? Or Luddite, perchance?

My cat likes my hearing aids and tries to eat the battery - one way of shutting it up (applies to both cat and aid since button batteries are often fatal if ingested)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@phdiabetic and @Oldvatr , I think my cat likes me, as it's been purring in my lap for the last half hour, but I suspect it has a problem with anything to do with diabetes. Just now it attacked the needle of my insulin pen right when I did the air-shot. Lucky it didn't get wounded or injected with a unit of fast-acting. The good thing is that this particular cat eats anything as long as I try to keep it from eating, so should it ever get injected by accident I'll only have to pretend it isn't allowed to eat the dextro tablets :p

Reactions: phdiabetic