Lancets, cats and stupid

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@phdiabetic and @Oldvatr , I think my cat likes me, as it's been purring in my lap for the last half hour, but I suspect it has a problem with anything to do with diabetes. Just now it attacked the needle of my insulin pen right when I did the air-shot. Lucky it didn't get wounded or injected with a unit of fast-acting. The good thing is that this particular cat eats anything as long as I try to keep it from eating, so should it ever get injected by accident I'll only have to pretend it isn't allowed to eat the dextro tablets :p
One cat we had was addicted to Polo Mints, and would drool copiously at the merest hint of one. Our current cat likes licking the top of the toothpaste tube while she watches me do my morning ritual, and it is now part of her ritual too. She seems to prefer spearmint flavour.

She is 9 human years old now, and still chases fluff around the floor or string snakes. I am not against cats at all except when they decide not to use the kittylitter tray provided or go outside into the lovely garden on a sunny day - then I let them know my displeasure.....

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
One cat we had was addicted to Polo Mints, and would drool copiously at the merest hint of one. Our current cat likes licking the top of the toothpaste tube while she watches me do my morning ritual, and it is now part of her ritual too. She seems to prefer spearmint flavour.

She is 9 human years old now, and still chases fluff around the floor or string snakes. I am not against cats at all except when they decide not to use the kittylitter tray provided or go outside into the lovely garden on a sunny day - then I let them know my displeasure.....
I love crazy cat habits! (even when they are sometimes inconvenient diabetes-wise )

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have an older dog who's had it's share of uti's ,including a 3 day stay at the vet's following shock from 'nierbekkenontsteking' . (That's Dutch for an infection of like where your kidneys are but not your kidneys. I think.) It scared the s☆☆t out of me to see my dog so ill. After that, it's got two more uti's, so guess who regularly walks the dog with a ladle handy to get its urine checked? Yes, we look real crazy when I'm trying to catch a few drops of dog-pee.
Try coaxing a very particular and immensely fussy cat to pee in plastic pellets so the slave can get a urine sample. So far the cat is winning. Mind you, at least I don't have to follow him around with a ladle! Thanks for giving me a laugh this morning, and the other posts about those characters who rule our lives. I hope your leg hasn't suffered from the improvised 'tattoo', @Antje77.....

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Try coaxing a very particular and immensely fussy cat to pee in plastic pellets
I wish you loads of luck with this one, @Sue192 . Should my vet ever come with this suggestion I probably would tell her it will be easier to bring her the moon in a shopping bag and could she come up with a better plan.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And I happen to have a black bedsheed, so even the bloody scratch will leave no marks in the end
Yes, I can see the wisdom of dark-coloured sheets and all other fabrics. (For cat owners, but also diabetics.) I am planning to buy some new workout clothes for Spring, and had been wondering about something colourful, but could at the same time foresee that it would inevitably be on my beautiful, expensive turquoise top that the stray blood drop would land. And although Dr Bernstein says you can get blood stains out with peroxide applied immediately, and recommends carrying a small bottle for this purpose, I can't believe this wouldn't leave a discoloured patch.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm happy I'm the only diabetic in my household and don't have to test and inject my pets as well. In hindsight, I had a guinea-pig die from diabetes shortly before my own diagnosis, but what did I know?
Guinea pigs only last about 2 years anyway, I believe, but perhaps that is because they all develop heart problems and other complications due to undiagnosed diabetes?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wouldn't it bite?

Good question. Depends on the hound I suppose...? My dog is fine with jabs. (Getting chipped he took it like a man.)
Quite happy with his ears when he had an infection & needed some "lug juice" putting in on a regular basis for a while.
But he hates having anything done to his paws..

The trick is not allowing the dog to turn on you when being held..?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
when they decide not to use the kittylitter tray provided or go outside into the lovely garden on a sunny day
My daughter's cat refused to go out for a long time because she was being bullied by the much larger neighbourhood cats. She ended up getting her tail bitten, and it went septic, resulting of course in a large bill at the vet's.

I read about a cat that taught itself to use the same loo as the humans, perching on the seat. If one, then why not all? If someone could train cats to do that, they could earn a lot of money.

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A friend's cat called Lucy used to get sulky if she thought she wasn't getting the attention she deserved, and would sometimes steal jigsaw puzzle pieces from the dining table and make off with them out of her cat-flap!

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A friend's cat called Lucy used to get sulky if she thought she wasn't getting the attention she deserved, and would sometimes steal jigsaw puzzle pieces from the dining table and make off with them out of her cat-flap!
People say cats can't be very intelligent because their brains are rather small. Well, they used to say that about women! This story is a good example, and I could tell several others, of the fact that cats are capable of annoying or blackmailing humans by doing things that will annoy them but would never annoy another cat. When has a cat ever minded losing a jigsaw piece? IMO to be able to empathise with another species and moreover use that empathy as ammunition or a bargaining chip in the relationship shows very advanced mental development.

Reactions: Sue192

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Who controls the cat food?!
I just make sure there's always food in their bowls, and of course keep the woter bowls both in the kitchen and the living room filled with fresh water at all times.I don't dare to find out what will happen if I don't.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
I just make sure there's always food in their bowls, and of course keep the woter bowls both in the kitchen and the living room filled with fresh water at all times.I don't dare to find out what will happen if I don't.
Absurdly, having lived with cats all my life, I had the momentary mental aberration persuading me that you might have some control. Senility creeps on....

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Absurdly, having lived with cats all my life, I had the momentary mental aberration persuading me that you might have some control. Senility creeps on....
Actually, only last week I bought a very clever device. You can shoot your cat with it if it does something like sharpening its paws on your only antique chair or running after your non-flying pigeons. The shot won't hurt the cat, but the cat will immediately stop what it's doing and then either run off to wash itself, or stare at you like it wants to kill you and only show you it's backside for the next couple of days. Very effective but, alas, not quick enough to counteract surprise-attacks.
I'll see if I can upload a picture of this device.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Grant_Vicat, this is a must-have for everyone living with a cat.
waterpistool_resized.jpg