landed up in A/E last night :( (not diabetes)

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
started quitmist yesterday and after a few doses i had these awful chest pains, they were a couple of minutes apart lasting 2-3 seconds, after a few hours i was starting to get scared so went to the hospital
had ecg done, nurse came back and said they want another ecg and bloods, i then think its heart related, she did bloods after a few attempts as veins are very deep down and another ecg
dr came and had a chat and asked about symptoms ect and said he would be back when bloods were back, so we go back to the waiting room still having pains
after about 45 mins he calls me in, im thinking i was there for the night
he looked at me and said good news ecg's were fine and bloods were normal and that i had acid reflux, i told him i felt like an idiot but he said going by the symptoms i did right to go in and they would rather that then a full blown heart attack
he told me to take antacids, i told him id taken a few rennie but it didnt help so he suggested gaviscon
awful nights sleep due the pain going on all through the night
today its not as bad
guess ill go back to the nicotine gum and suffer the lump in throat feeling rather than the chest pains
on a scale of 1 to 10 id say they were at an 8
one of my sons had reflux as a baby and i can understand why he cried so much now
ive had bad heartburn many times but this was a first for me and have to admit i was scared

Reactions: ickihun

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glad it was nothing more serious, though I sympathise as I suffered from acid reflux so know how bad it can feel. I take Esomeprazole now (similar to Omeprazole, Lanzoprazole etc... ) It works really well, maybe you need something like this too? Having said that since losing weight on the low carb diet I haven’t had heartburn for ages now :)

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
guess ill go back to the nicotine gum and suffer the lump in throat feeling rather than the chest pains

Good to know it wasn't anything too serious, though still very uncomfortable, I would imagine.
I highlighted the above section, because it was the 'lump in throat' feeling that caught my attention. I assume you are in process of stopping smoking, and whilst I didn't have any severe chest pains (that I can remember), I did have a very definite feeling of a lump in my throat, that caused me a lot of concern at the time. It was extremely painful to eat or drink, though I had no hint of a lump or any pain before I stopped smoking. To cut a long story short, it appears that the feeling was something called "globus sensation". It was over 2 years before the pain gradually subsided, though at just over 3 years, I still have the occasional twinge, particularly when drinking something hot.

This may help explain: https://patient.info/health/globus-sensation-leaflet

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
started quitmist yesterday and after a few doses i had these awful chest pains, they were a couple of minutes apart lasting 2-3 seconds, after a few hours i was starting to get scared so went to the hospital
had ecg done, nurse came back and said they want another ecg and bloods, i then think its heart related, she did bloods after a few attempts as veins are very deep down and another ecg
dr came and had a chat and asked about symptoms ect and said he would be back when bloods were back, so we go back to the waiting room still having pains
after about 45 mins he calls me in, im thinking i was there for the night
he looked at me and said good news ecg's were fine and bloods were normal and that i had acid reflux, i told him i felt like an idiot but he said going by the symptoms i did right to go in and they would rather that then a full blown heart attack
he told me to take antacids, i told him id taken a few rennie but it didnt help so he suggested gaviscon
awful nights sleep due the pain going on all through the night
today its not as bad
on a scale of 1 to 10 id say they were at an 8
one of my sons had reflux as a baby and i can understand why he cried so much now
ive had bad heartburn many times but this was a first for me and have to admit i was scared

Speaking to a friend of mine a few weeks ago who is a health researcher, whose background is very much cardiac medicine, she commented that a massive proportion of cardiac events are discovered in women who have never presented with cardiac issues. They tend to be "in the system" for something else and have an ECG along the way (for example, pre-op for sugery) and the traces indicate a past cardiac vent. When questioned, they can quite often remember a time when they had a bad bout of "indigestion".

Better safe than sorry I say.

I hope you're feeling better soon.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The "routine EKG" is a horrible way of trying to diagnose heart disease. It's about as good as flipping a coin. In contrast the most useful role of the EKG is in the ED (emergency dept. in the US) in people presenting with chest pain, as per the OP. There is is the major means of diagnosing an ischemic event, or a STEMI. The bloods tests are troponins, an enzyme with a very high sensitivity at detecting a recent heart attack (within the past 12 hours probably). The other thing an EKG is good for is diagnosing the rhythm.

Last edited: