Langurs Solarstar Pen

Michaelmge

Hi all.I have been T1 for 34 years and have always managed to control my diabetes,using Novarapid and Lantus in a vial.Last month I was swapped to the Lantus SolarStar pen but now my overnights have gone haywire.Am I missing a trick here somehow?Any insight would be appreciated.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There should be no difference between a vial of :Lantus and the Solostar pen (I used the solostar pens for many years until I changed off lantus) in its effectiveness
Did you try changing pens in case the pen isn't working properly? (sometimes they can just not quite do the job properly or the insulin may be not working)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all.I have been T1 for 34 years and have always managed to control my diabetes,using Novarapid and Lantus in a vial.Last month I was swapped to the Lantus SolarStar pen but now my overnights have gone haywire.Am I missing a trick here somehow?Any insight would be appreciated.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.
What sort of BG numbers where you getting regarding the overnight haywire.?
How far down the cartridge is the plunger on the pen, halfway? Two thirds?

I use lantus in the all star pro pen & though the device used to administer the shot should make no difference.
I have found the potency of Lantus can deminish until I change the cartridge.

Michaelmge

Thanks for your replies.For instance 6.8 before bed but 12.5 when I got up and has been happening regularly since I swapped.Although I used to get it wrong occasionally I was achieving 5 to 9 as a matter of course.I have probably 3 more nights of insulin left in the pen.Thanks.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your replies.For instance 6.8 before bed but 12.5 when I got up and has been happening regularly since I swapped.Although I used to get it wrong occasionally I was achieving 5 to 9 as a matter of course.I have probably 3 more nights of insulin left in the pen.Thanks.

Hi,

You may also be experiencing liver dump on waking? that can cause that rise..
Certainly a jump from around 5 to nearly 8 for me without doing much bar taking a shower can happen in the morning.

Michaelmge

Sorry all but having just started my second SolarStar pen I was surprised that I could not depress it and take my injection.I had one other pen and that has given me the same problem.Fortunately I have some disposable syringes and was able to draw my Lantus.When the surgery switched me over they are only issuing me with 3 pens.Is there a common problem with these pens or am I just unlucky.Certainly I was not warned of any problems and feel frustrated that after years of managing my diabetes(see a nurse once a year)that I was swapped for a perceived cost saving.