Lantus and moving back to tablets

manxangel

Dislikes
Loud and brash people and arguments
Hi,

I'm due at the doc at 3pm but i don't know what to expect.

I'm currently on Lantus and Novo. but they want me to go back onto tablets.

Has to be said i'm not using my novo that much as i am eating very little carbs and i am very steady with my readings.

If they put me back on Metformin, how will that effect my lantus? surely it will make it more effective therefore i can expect a few hypos? but with it being slow release?

see i have no idea! any help about what i can expect would be great. I'm very apprehensive about it.

Thanks

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya,
ive just started novorapid and was on just lantus for 2 yrs ,most of that time i was also on metformin,i think it just made the insulin work better although a diff dr took me off metformin saying he doesnt believe in metformin and insulin so im not really sure which works best but good luck this afternoon xx

Katharine

Metformin does not usually give people hypos (there are exceptions of course!).

Metformin will reduce the amount of sugar produced by the liver and improve your insulin sensitivity. It is quite usual to stay on the Lantus to give you some basal insulin. Whether you will be able to reduce the dose of Lantus or even stop it and keep normal blood sugars will have to be seen from your blood sugar results over time.

It sounds like you are doing so well on your reduced carb diet that your own pancreas is able to make enough meal insulin.

Well done!

manxangel

Dislikes
Loud and brash people and arguments
hi Katharine,

Thank you for your help, just got back from the doc and yes your bang on.

i have to start taking metformin again over the next 6 weeks gradually increaseing my dose. and reducing my Lantus very slowly.

They have told me to keep my novo with me at all times just in case i find i have a problem.

What a problem is i am not too sure!

They still don't know what bloomin type i am. i am so sick of this, i thought i had an answer and looks like i don't