Lantus Dose

ainiabdul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not having chocolate, it's a darn disaster!
I know that there have been a lot of posts on basal insulin.
I am a bit overwhelmed with the giant information posted by people and having difficulties sorting out which is which.
I am very new to diabetes. Puzzled here and there many times, but working on it.
Since I last diagnosed 3 weeks ago, I have been suggested by my doc to take 12 units of Lantus every night before bed.
I am reading more about good morning reading now and I am aiming to have mine below 100 mg/dl.
However, I haven't really been able to do this.
The last few days I woke up with 120-140 mg/dl for my FBG.
So far, I have only been successful with one morning with BG 94 mg/dl!
Should I be increasing my lantus dose?
I am 119 pounds, by the way.
I have read that to get the approximate dose, I can calculate by dividing my weight to 4.
So 119/4 = dose of basal insulin I need.
What do you think of this?
Should I be consulting with my doctor again?

Oh there's so much to learn.
But I am not giving upppppp :)

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Mention your bg readings to your Dr and they will advise you on adjusting your basal insulin, for two or three nights why don't you do a bg check before bed, during the night and upon waking which will be useful to your Dr/Diabetes Care Team.

ainiabdul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mention your bg readings to your Dr and they will advise you on adjusting your basal insulin, for two or three nights why don't you do a bg check before bed, during the night and upon waking which will be useful to your Dr/Diabetes Care Team.
Thanks noblehead.
When you mentioned during the night, is it at around mid-night and (or) early morning time like 1 or 2 am?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks noblehead.
When you mentioned during the night, is it at around mid-night and (or) early morning time like 1 or 2 am?

I go to bed around 11pm and when doing a basal check I tested around 2-3am when on injections.

ainiabdul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I go to bed around 11pm and when doing a basal check I tested around 2-3am when on injections.

Will check mine at around 1-2 am then, as my bed/lantus time is at 10 pm.
Cheers noblehead. Useful information. Thanks a lot.

Reactions: 2 people

ainiabdul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Kristin251, average BG before bed is 100 to 120 :) just now it is 99

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What I did was tweaked slowly until I found the dose that kept me within about 10. Think like a pancreas says if over 30 take another unit and if lower than 30 take 1 less unit until you hit your target. This might be something you want to discuss with your diabetic team though.

Another thing that helps is a small fat / protein snack like a tsp peanut better or a few nuts. Some people have a bite of cheese but I don't do dairy. I have 1/4 hot dog and a spoonful of avocado if I'm slightly higher than I like and I am lower at fasting. 1 unit keeps me steady and two will drop me too much so if I'm over 95 at bed I have a snack and wake up around 85, my bingo number

ainiabdul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Kristin, today I woke up with 114 mg/dl still not what I am aiming for but yes will try your tips for sure. Thank you for sharing with me. I am feeling a bit better about this diabetes "monster" from time to time with a friendly assistance from fellow diabetics..

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Kristin, today I woke up with 114 mg/dl still not what I am aiming for but yes will try your tips for sure. Thank you for sharing with me. I am feeling a bit better about this diabetes "monster" from time to time with a friendly assistance from fellow diabetics..

Good you're figuring it out. Testing testing...I call it BS BS. LOL. it s a beast but we can control it. My lantus dose also depends on my bed time number. Once you find your steady you can go from there.

ainiabdul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good you're figuring it out. Testing testing...I call it BS BS. LOL. it s a beast but we can control it. My lantus dose also depends on my bed time number. Once you find your steady you can go from there.
Will try on your tips this evening.
Geared up with few nuts and cheese.
Will let you know what my fasting BG tomorrow xxx

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Will try on your tips this evening.
Geared up with few nuts and cheese.
Will let you know what my fasting BG tomorrow xxx
Interested to know. Could take a few days and playing with it until you get where you want to be

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
a change in your lantus dose can take 2-3 days before results are seen on your BG meter.
take things slowly , test during the night as @noblehead suggests
and be sure to liaise regularly with your medical team.
remember it is a marathon race -not a sprint !!

all the best !!

Reactions: 4 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
a change in your lantus dose can take 2-3 days before results are seen on your BG meter.
take things slowly , test during the night as @noblehead suggests
and be sure to liaise regularly with your medical team.
remember it is a marathon race -not a sprint !!

all the best !!
That's what they told me but I find lantus to not even last 24 hours. I dose depending on my bedtime number every night. Could be because I am only taking one or two units.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
@Kristin251 appreciate that is your experience after a few years but let's remember the OP is diagnosed 3 weeks ago and just beginning her journey
Slowly slowly always is a prudent course given the length of time we live with D

Sent from my SM-T560 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people