Lantus drops and vitamins/minerals

chromaloma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all!

I have had fairly consistent Lantus reaction for a long time now. Yesterday I started taking vitamin pills again, like for a new years resolution, and sugar has been pretty great to deal with regarding food and boluses, in terms of not needing much of boluses. My Lantus has brought me down fast both yesterday night and tonight, like two arrows down on the Dex. Morning doses has luckily been a little milder, so no quick drops, but something along the ways of not being a diabetic.

My sugar was 5mmol this morning, and my sugar suddenly popped 13mmol 5 hours after dinner today, by food usually not that stubborn. Sounds like the Lantus morning dose maybe had done its work by then.

Seems like Lantus morning doses has made me to hardly need bolus for breakfast, lunch and partly dinner. What?? This is too obvious to be a coincidence. The vitamins are Vitamin A, C, D, E, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, B12. Minerals are Magnesium, iron, zinc, copper, manganese, selenium, chromium, molybdenum and iodine.

I understand that several of these can affect Lantus. Im like, oh just WOW, seriously, can it have that much of side effects?
I'm googling it right now, and there are indicators telling me to stop taking these vitamins and minerals when still on Lantus.

I started taking vitamins around that time I got trouble with terrible drops, back in 2013. I have since started and stopped taking vitamins several times, some days on and some days off. I'm definitely NOT taking those vitamins tomorrow.

Anyone with any experience on Lantus and Tresiba for these issues?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

M80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So just to get this right, you seem to need less insulin on vitamins? If that is what you mean, I also have experience with this. I would not stop the vitamins but reduce my insulin though. Just seems a good idea to correct any low levels.I have tried again and again to check my levels but it (at gp)seems apart from b12 and iron it is not easy to measure. Especially Magnesium and vit C seem to have a lot to say in relation to bs and insulin sensitivity and the ability to stay at a constant level.There is a lot of money in this though so I am cautious of getting too much advice( dis once go to a private nutrition therapist it was not cheap ) and stick to a multivitamin and some times magnesium at evening (helps me sleep)

oldsle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I found my blood sugar improved quite a bit after I started on magnesium. I've reduced my Lantus.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
No I have not had any issues that you describe.

I am concerned that you are willing to pay out on so many vitamins when a good diet should provide you with all the vitamins you need, unless a deficiency of B12through permicious anaemia or iron due to anaemia.

There is Professor Robert Thomas on his cancernet.org site that offers screening bloods beyond that of the NHS.

Too many vitamins and you could be giving yourself more problems than you think you are solving...

Balancing food intake is key, you can ask your GP for D3 screening.

You could of course scrutinise your vitamins in your food via google and just analyse your intake compared to the RDA.

chromaloma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No I have not had any issues that you describe.

I am concerned that you are willing to pay out on so many vitamins when a good diet should provide you with all the vitamins you need, unless a deficiency of B12through permicious anaemia or iron due to anaemia.

There is Professor Robert Thomas on his cancernet.org site that offers screening bloods beyond that of the NHS.

Too many vitamins and you could be giving yourself more problems than you think you are solving...

Balancing food intake is key, you can ask your GP for D3 screening.

You could of course scrutinise your vitamins in your food via google and just analyse your intake compared to the RDA.
Well, it's just one multi-vitamin pill. I agree that taking it in via nutrition is the best plan. I haven't taken the vitamin pill today.

chromaloma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So just to get this right, you seem to need less insulin on vitamins? If that is what you mean, I also have experience with this. I would not stop the vitamins but reduce my insulin though. Just seems a good idea to correct any low levels.I have tried again and again to check my levels but it (at gp)seems apart from b12 and iron it is not easy to measure. Especially Magnesium and vit C seem to have a lot to say in relation to bs and insulin sensitivity and the ability to stay at a constant level.There is a lot of money in this though so I am cautious of getting too much advice( dis once go to a private nutrition therapist it was not cheap ) and stick to a multivitamin and some times magnesium at evening (helps me sleep)
Interesting. Well yes, probably all insulin sensitivity is enhanced a lot. But the real problem here was that Lantus was working very quick, like those dreaded Lantus lows, when it's working as ultra rapid insulin. Honestly, I didn't know vitamins were such a big deal.

M80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I never had those when using Lantus but I am happy with Tresiba now.Enough with one per 24 hours does not behave with the dips lantus had ( after 22 hours no effect)

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take multi vits/cod liver oil/omega 3 oil/mag b12/zink & glucosamine on a morning, and 24 u Lantus on an evening, I see no blood sugar change if I forget to take the supplements.

Reactions: donnellysdogs