Lantus + Gliclazide

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I recently switched having my Lantus to 6pm as it was running out of steam and couldn't cope with the dawn phenomenon when I had it in the morning. I have also reduced my carb intake to between 50 and 75g per day. I am getting great control during the day, between 5 and 7, but my bedtime reading has been around 4.5, so I believe I need to eat at bedtime, which I really don't want to do.

Any suggestions? Do I need to eat a carb heavy meal in the evening? My level was 6.5 two hours after dinner tonight, but now it's 4.4. Am I risking a hypo if I don't eat? I feel fine. Thanks

kjc2011

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercising lol
Hi @LincolnLizzie I am having a similar problem to you. For the past 5 days my readings have consistently been in the 6s after my evening meal and then nothing to eat until the next morning. I don't eat after my evening meal and find that if I do it really pushes up my sugars and then sets me high for the next day. feeling a little hungry and bloods low before bed. I have an appointment at my doctors this morning so going to ask for some advice on this. I will let you he advises xx

Reactions: 2 people

eldergarth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
marmite peanut butter
I recently switched having my Lantus to 6pm as it was running out of steam and couldn't cope with the dawn phenomenon when I had it in the morning. I have also reduced my carb intake to between 50 and 75g per day. I am getting great control during the day, between 5 and 7, but my bedtime reading has been around 4.5, so I believe I need to eat at bedtime, which I really don't want to do.

Any suggestions? Do I need to eat a carb heavy meal in the evening? My level was 6.5 two hours after dinner tonight, but now it's 4.4. Am I risking a hypo if I don't eat? I feel fine. Thanks
hi i find a protein snack before bed helps me to keep the dawn phenomenon at bay . i tend to have a handful of nuts and a high protein bar but a couple of small pieces of cheese would work well
hope this helps

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Your message header implies you are on Gliclazide as well as Lantus. That's a bit strange as insulin should be doing the job of Gliclazide i.e. adding insulin to your blood. Glic can push the pancreas to produce more insulin than you need. I would question why you are on both insulin and Glic and possibly reduce/stop the Glic to minimise hypos. Do discuss with the nurse. Also, are you on Basal/Bolus or just twice-a-day Basal?

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi yes, on Forxiga and Gliclazide as well as the 1 X 24 hour Lantus. My understanding, which is patchy at best, is that the Lantus provides the baseline and the Gliclazide supplies what I need through the day. I haven't had a hypo yet - and hope not to!

I have been limiting carbs for just a few weeks and, for the first time in 12 years, have been within target nearly all the time.

Any advice would really be appreciated - my DN is away for three weeks and I see the doc on Monday. Thank you
I can't take metformin as it gives me unmanageable bowel problems and I was taken off Glibencamide as I have had pancreatitis twice and I believe it is contraindicated.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
agree with the idea of a protein or possibly a small carb with protein snack at bedtime-- possibly try 1 jacobs cream cracker ( 5.4 carb) with approx 25 gram cheese

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just been to the docs, he has reduced the Gliclazide in the evenings from two to one, to try to improve my BG readings at bedtime. It will be interesting to see what effect it has.

Thanks for your advice everyone. Really appreciated.