Lantus low? Help me work it out

Gnat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That sounds exactly like my experience(s). I'd change to levemir if it was available in NZ, but as it isn't I muddle along by checking my bg 15 minutes after taking my night time dose. Still don't understand why I had 10 years of using lantus without issue, and am only now having problems, but I have a big jar of glucotabs next to my bed and I'm ready and willing to use them as necessary. But it's the steepness and speed of the fall, combined with the large amount of sugar required to stop it, that differentiates this from normal hypos.
Yes, that was what disturbed me. In my 3 years with diabetes (tiny amount of beta cell activity remaining) I have never woken with a hypo, and have a hypo about every 6 weeks - down to 3.6 perhaps. So to go from 6.3 to having a seizure and probably under 2 at the time is deeply concerning. I am unsure of what would have happened if my husband hadn't heard me or I had been away from home for the night on my own for work. I am trying to preserve my remaining beta cells so I am not interested in running higher and killing them off. I will use a Dexcom all the time now, and will ensure I have Lantus at least 30 mins before bed and not as I am about to drive.