Lantus not working?

james122

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
HIGH blood sugars!
I'm having problems with high blood sugars before meals and then my post Neal blood sugars are usually fine but then about 4 hours after I eat my blood sugars goes up to about 11.
So whenever I don't have rapid acting insulin in me and I'm relying on lantus my blood sugar rises!!
It's very annoying because I inject 18 units of lantus now and I still have the problem.
My hba1c is 5.1% (32) and I like it there and I'm annoyed because this is going to make it rise.

Is there anything j can do to stop this problem other than always injecting novo rapid 2 hours after I've eaten because that's what I'm having to do. I'm currently doing about 3 to 4 correction doses of insulin a day just to keep it down.

As people on this forum know I'm very afraid of highs and it's not making my life very enjoyable and I'll resort back to lows if this continues so if anyone here could offer any advice that would be most helpful.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes - try a basal test. That way you can check your Lantus dose is sufficient.

Getting the basal right is important as it gives you a firm foundation to build on. Basal tests are a nuisance, but will show you if your basal is correct.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes to the basal test but are you eating large amounts of protein or large amounts of fat as these can delay the spike. If you are you might then need to split your bolus as if you take it all at once you could hypo first.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd go for a Libre, even if it's just one sensor - you'll get so much information from 14 days that will really help get your basal sorted. From there, you can then fine tune your I:C ratio if need be.

Here's a good guide for basal testing if not using FGM or CGM:

https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

EDIT - has this issue just started with this cartridge of insulin, if so - have you tried a fresh one?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What is your basal/ lantus regime? Are you injecting lantus once a day?
Many T1's split there lantus/ basal and inject twice daily, this can give much better control. Maybe you could talk to your dsn about this option if it's something you've not tried already.

Reactions: azure

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, it sounds like you should be basal testing. Here is a link with some info on basal testing and how to make adjustments to your basal rate https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

What is your total daily dose? If it's more than 36 that says you are doing a higher proportion of bolus than basal and the usual starting point guide is that they are 50/50.

Are you giving all your lantus in one shot? Most people find lantus doesn't last 24 hours so you might find it peters out towards the end of the day, you could experiment with splitting the dose and see if that helps.

First step though is to basal test, once you have the basal rates set for you that should help everything else.

Reactions: azure