Lantus semmea not working for me anymore

Adonno

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, for couple of months i have been usong lantus as my bedtimr insulin. Now yhis past 3 weeks it seems that when i woke up every morning my insulin is unstable mostly i get around 230s or higher of blood sugar. I tried lowering and adjusting my dosage my normal dosage is 16 units. This is the units ive used for couple of months. When i noticr it's unstavle i lower it to 14 units. I still get the same results when i wake uo every morning. Can anyone give me some idea or suggestions regarding this matter?

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Best to see/talk to a pro..
My thoughts - you may just need more insulin now than you did before. But, it could be some other thing that's changed - Work/exercise? Diet? Medical/body? Psychology(stress, sleep pattern, etc)?

Reactions: Adonno

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, for couple of months i have been usong lantus as my bedtimr insulin. Now yhis past 3 weeks it seems that when i woke up every morning my insulin is unstable mostly i get around 230s or higher of blood sugar. I tried lowering and adjusting my dosage my normal dosage is 16 units. This is the units ive used for couple of months. When i noticr it's unstavle i lower it to 14 units. I still get the same results when i wake uo every morning. Can anyone give me some idea or suggestions regarding this matter?

I'm slightly confused @Adonno Are you saying you lower your insulin when you get high blood sugar? Why are you lowering it rather than considering increasing it?

Have you done a basal test? Are you sure your Lantus is in date and working properly? Are your highs only in the morning (could it be Dawn Phenomenon)?

D

Deleted Account

There are many things that may result in a morning BG reading: did you eat late the night before? are you stressed? did you have a hypo whilst you slept which resulted in your body flooding glucose to recover? is your body fighting off a bug?...

If this was happening to me I would make sure I take a BG reading before I go to bed and make any necessary correction dose. Then, set an alarm for the middle of the night and take another reading (and correct if necessary). Do this for a few nights to see whether it is a hypo or dawn phenomenon or ...

If you can't work it out, call in a professional.

Adonno

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm slightly confused @Adonno Are you saying you lower your insulin when you get high blood sugar? Why are you lowering it rather than considering increasing it?

Have you done a basal test? Are you sure your Lantus is in date and working properly? Are your highs only in the morning (could it be Dawn Phenomenon)?

My blood sugar range when i take lantus is 170-190 and i take 16 units of lantus before i go to aleep. If i increase my dosage i will get high blood sugar i think its called dawn phenomenon (when you get low blood sugar in thr middle of the night thats why our body release extra blood sugar some thing like that)

Im not stressed, i eat normally and doesnt eat midnight snacks.

I think i will try to wake up around 2:30 am and see if my blood sugar is low or high. If its high or low what does it mean any info will be appreciated

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Adonno Dawn Phenomenon is just increasing blood sugar in the early morning. It's not a response to a hypo.

Testing your blood sugar earlier in the night is a good idea.

Here is some info:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html

I still don't understand why you're lowering your Lantus when your blood sugars are high. Have you tried increasing it carefully and very gradually?

Adonno

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Before i go to bed i check my blood sugar and it's 167. I woke up at 2:30am this morning i checked my blood sugar it is 90 so i ate 1 pc of mini m&m chocolate

Does this mean i should lower my insulin dosage?