Lantus

Kazza63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Does anyone have any advice about splitting lantus dose. I have been taking more me in two doses. First thing in the morning and before bed. Only problem is I keep having night time hypos and am exhausted because of them . I was thinking of going back to just one dose AM. Any thoughts?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A split is OK.....

Originally Lantus wasn't meant to be split but lots of people do it....

What you need to do is reduce your before bed dose after a period of testing...

If you have been consistently low, which it sounds like, then you could chop of a couple of units tonight, then test the change overnight...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I was thinking of going back to just one dose AM. Any thoughts?

I never did split my lantus dose, but if your reason for splitting was because you didn't get a full 24 hour coverage then ask about Tresiba insulin, it's a background insulin just like lantus but lasts up to 42 hours (but you still inject it once daily).

Reactions: novorapidboi26

Kazza63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks guys that's really useful. I did split it as it wasn't covering 24 hours and I'm due to see consultant in couple of weeks so will ask about tresiba if things don't improve

Banktramp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just got told off by my DSN for splitting my lantus from 28 units to two doses of 14. She got me to reduce mine down to 18 units and see how that goes. I to was getting night hypos but as I wasn't getting any fast acting insulin that is the only way I can get my levels down but always risking hypos.