lantus

Curleous

Dislikes
bad manners and rudeness
Quick question

i forgot to take my lantus last night 17 units and took 8 units this morning to compensate but am now wondering how much i should take tonight. I normally take it at bed time about 23.00.

Can someon please advise me

Many Thanks

Andy

lilibet

Im not sure to be honest and I would be loathe to recommend something given the possible safety issues. Best person is to see ifyou can get a medic to give you information?

Lantus is 24 hours supposedly so if you take it at night time then presumably you took it 'properly' last on Thursday night to Friday night.

If you missed Friday night how was your bg this morning when you woke, given that maybe 1/3 of the day you didnt have it in your body?

If I were you I would have just taken the 17 u this morning instead of 8 as you were late with the Lantus, not early so you wouldnt have been stacking insulin and your total daily dose is your totaly daily dose, timings aside

However, now you have 8 units floating about for 24 hours presumably which makes it a bit more complicated How have your bg been today iven the missed dose and smaller units? Have you been propping up with fast acting?

If your TDD is 17 then could you maybe take the remainder of what you normally would, ie 9 units. I know lantus isnt meant to be split but some do
Or, just take the 17 and be extra vigilant during the night if the basal from this morning still has some time to run and make sure you ARE SAFE by TESTING REGULARLY

Others I hope will come along and give you other possible advice and please be aware that this is only my thoughts, I am not an expert or able to help you manage a regime. You know your body better than me but whatever you do, please stay safe

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi curleous,

In your shoes, I'd be tempted to simply take the balance of your dose at bedtime and monitor your blood glucose closely. Your total dose would therefore be exactly as before, only split in two. Many people find this actually gives improved coverage over 24 hours and in particular reduces the risk of hypo's overnight.
Good luck!

fergus