Late afternoon highs

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Recently I've been having odd high sugar swings in the late afternoon, which then make me concerned about eating supper--so I often skip eating until the #´s come down. These high readings (not scary high, but like high 7's, when I used to get high 5/low 6 before supper) come hours after lunch. I noticed them b/c I was getting fatigued and puffy feet around the time I get home from work. Rather unpleasant. Haven't changed my diet, but I was travelling a few days last week. Any ideas on how to alleviate this?

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure I have any suggestions to help. I think it is more common that late afternoons are often characterised by lows, which is why the Victorians inverted afternoon tea!!
How are you measuring and how often to track the rise?

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you been having a stressful day? Or how about dehydration (puffy ankles).So many things can raise our bg levels. If you want to get them down before the evening meal a walk might help.

Reactions: hankjam

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I would normally expect low readings before supper! I don't routinely test before supper (just if I want to see the effect of a new/unusual food on my postprandial rise) but in the past week I've been having my usual high sugar symptoms (puffy feet, fatigue, frequent urination) at this time of day so I have tested a few times and been surprisingly high.

It hasn't been particularly stressful at work or home at all, and my diet, including water intake, hasn't changed. I bike commute, so this is happening shortly after I've biked 30 mins home from work, but the bike ride isn't strenuous for me and the weather has been lovely lately. It doesn't happen after I bike to work in the mornings at all. I have a salad with fish for lunch pretty much every day, and nuts for a snack before heading home.

Last edited:

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Phonic2k, I don't understand how your response applies to my question/situation. Can you explain?

My suspicion is that this may have to do with travel--I am getting highs this week at the time when, last week, I would have been postprandial. If that's correct then I should adjust back by next week, I hope. Fingers crossed.

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was just confused because I was posting concerned about before meal readings, after 30 min of moderate exercise on my bike commute home. I wasn't sure how recommending 15 (additional? fewer?) min of light exercise would help. Or maybe you were recommending exercise after lunch could reduce rises a few hours later? Perhaps there was just an online miscommunication somewhere along the line--it can be hard to get nuance in this format.