1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Latest Hb1Ac results are in

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Testimonials' started by Lupf, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Lupf

Lupf Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was diagnosed T2 in 2014 and put on Metformin. Early 2019 I went on a intermittent fasting diet (5+2 by Michael Mosley) with 600 calories on fast days instead of starting to take Gliclazide. This worked rather well and I succeeded to lose 10 kg. At the end of Nov my Hb1AC had reduced to 42. With this result the doctor agreed to come off medicine altogether:) I wrote about this in my first thread on this forum, see https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/t2-reversed.170844/

My next test was in Feb 2020 and came back at 55 which was a bit of a shock. I didn't expect such a large change even if I didn't fast during the Christmas break. Then the pandemic broke out and my heavy travel load for work ended suddenly. I have never been at home for more than a month for over 20 years, so this was quite a change. Working at home where you can go to the fridge whenever having a craving was tempting. My partner and I both decided to continue to fast twice a week and this really helped. I was not only able to keep off the pounds, but I succeeded in losing a few more kg. I weigh now less than when I was at 20 years old. We both bought electric bikes which we had planned for some time, and they arrived just in time before the lockdown. We are now cycling two to three times a week which is great. I still go for rides with my mountain bike as well. These rides are a welcome distraction as my workload has actually increased. I am a scientist and now I am spending almost all my time in video or skype conferences (before it was only half my time;)). Discussing with people on the forum, see https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/how-reliable-are-hb1ac-tests.172402/ and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/how-to-test-systematically.173574/ was also very useful.

However, I was worried about the Hb1AC test in February. Even more so, when in May for no clear reason my blood sugar measurements (finger pricks) increased a bit for a while, I started to get a bit anxious. I decided to book another test when I had to get a new prescription for test strips and I got tested a week ago. The test results are in and I am quite relieved that the new Hb1AC value is back down to 45 :). The nurse called me today to congratulate me. She then tried to tell me not to test again in three months, as it is going so well.:( And there is more good news; since using the new box of test trips my fasting blood sugar measurements are also back down to around 5 to 6 mmol/l.

I guess I will continue. I am curious if I have to stop doing 5+2 to not to lose more weight. On the other hand on these two days I eat very few carbs, basically only eggs, vegetables, soup and a little cheese, chicken or fish. I will need to keep doing this.

• Winner Winner x 4
  2. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

Congrats on the results. As for changing your diet, I guess it depends on how you feel about it. You can change it and test, see what the results bring. Compare to current results.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook