Latest Hba1c Results

Christina0308

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, new results after 10 months ..38 slightly up on last August, more concerned big raise in Cholesterol at 5.9 no break down so will find out at my first review, previous results 4.2. Advice welcome.

Reactions: Prem51

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, congratulations on your hba1c, your doing fantastic!

Cholesterol is a complete mystery to me, sorry

Reactions: Prem51 and Rachox

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

That is a wonderful HbA1c. Well done. It shows you have stabilised. There is no significant difference between 37 and 38.

We can't advise you on your cholesterol without knowing the full breakdown. It may well be it is your good cholesterol that has gone up. Don't forget to ask for print outs of the test results. :)

Reactions: dbr10 and Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done on maintaining a non diabetic HbA1c! I agree that to understand your cholesterol you need a breakdown. Mine has been 5.9 for my last two readings but the breakdown within that had improved between the first and second one.

Reactions: Prem51 and dbr10

Christina0308

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Follow up on my annual review, overall happy but unsure of how to lower cholesterol, although nurse wasn't too concerned and some parts have improved, she did mention risk 11%.
Results...
June 17 June 18
cholesterol serum 4.2mmol 5.9mmol
hdl 0.89 1.45
ldl 3.3 3.3
trigs 6.81 2.58
cholesterol/hdl ratio 4.7 4.1

I am LCHF with exercise mainly walking morning and evening, Any advice please...

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Follow up on my annual review, overall happy but unsure of how to lower cholesterol, although nurse wasn't too concerned and some parts have improved, she did mention risk 11%.
Results...
June 17 June 18
cholesterol serum 4.2mmol 5.9mmol
hdl 0.89 1.45
ldl 3.3 3.3
trigs 6.81 2.58
cholesterol/hdl ratio 4.7 4.1

I am LCHF with exercise mainly walking morning and evening, Any advice please...

Your HDL (good cholesterol) has jumped up, which is one reason your total has increased.
Your LDL hasn't moved at all
Your trigs (bad stuff) have plummeted. (they were very high previously)

I would say congratulations, That is a brilliant improvement. You should be pleased.

This is the calculator they use for risk
https://qrisk.org/three/

Have a play with it, change some of your data and see what happens. You will soon see what a load of cobblers it is.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My GP still uses one of the Qrisk 2 calculators without the additional questions (computers not updated) which gives me a higher score! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Christina0308

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Bluetit I will have a look at the link, what could I do to help lower LDL and trigs.

Reactions: dbr10

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Bluetit I will have a look at the link, what could I do to help lower LDL and trigs.

Omega 3 foods and as little omega 6 as you can. Plenty of oily fish, seeds such as flaxseed, certain nuts (walnuts I believe). There are plenty of lists of them on Google.

Did you fast for these tests? Fasting makes a huge difference to the Trigs.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP still uses one of the Qrisk 2 calculators without the additional questions (computers not updated) which gives me a higher score! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

So does mine, but probably because the NICE recommendations haven't been updated since QRisk 3 came out, and still say use QRisk2.

Christina0308

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I did fast, not a big fish fan but will give more fish ago, I do have chai seeds and walnuts daily. Had a look at your link and put in my numbers and got a lower result of 8.2% . That's Better..

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I did fast, not a big fish fan but will give more fish ago, I do have chai seeds and walnuts daily. Had a look at your link and put in my numbers and got a lower result of 8.2% . That's Better..

Which fats/oils do you use to cook with? Do you buy shop bought mayonnaise?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cook with Lurpak and lard and use Hellmans mayo.

That's good then. Plenty of Omega 3 in Hellmanns. I asked about the cooking fats/oils in case you were using the cheapo vegetable oils like Sunflower etc. which are laden with omega 6.

Christina0308

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's good then. Plenty of Omega 3 in Hellmanns. I asked about the cooking fats/oils in case you were using the cheapo vegetable oils like Sunflower etc. which are laden with omega 6.
Not now but I did use it before diagnosis, I changed a lot of foods after joining the forum and reading the advice and experiences of the members. I now need to tweek my diet as my weight has plateaued. Thanks for your input.

Reactions: Bluetit1802