Latest HBa1c reults

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having recently been put on gliclazide 80 mg on top of 3000 mg of metformin a new HBa1c test was done last week after a week on the gliclazide and had the results today, which were 58 in new terms. No referal to the diabetic team has been provided just a reapeat HBa1c in 4 months, and need to loose 14 kgs in weight.

I slowly trying to sort out what I can and can't eat, white bread sends the readings high though only have white ocasionally normally its wholemeal. BS results are now coming down nicely ranging from around 4.3 at before lunch time to odd 12's before bed time norm under 6's (need to work out whats causing that high). Breakfast seams to be around the middle 5's and the odd 6's

The other night for tea I had a slice of gammon (fried) 2 eggs a a slice of whole meal bread and had no symtoms of the BS going low, but the reading at around 11 pm was 3.5 even checked it on 2 meters and was the same. :( I don't normally put oil in the pan this time put a small amount in and was surprised the BS went that low.

What I have noticed getting the BS into a more normal range, is the marks on my legs (always had a problem with them healing normally), where I have had cuts or bashes have turned from the usual redish colour to a light brown colour and some almost back to normal skin colour.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my experience, carbs, even wholemeal carbs, raise my blood sugar levels. Having butter, sunflower or olive oil with my meal, or full fat cheese, reduces my blood sugar levels.

I have been having 100-120g of carbs a day and not having spreads or hydrogenated fats, and my HbA1c has dropped to 5.7

Maybe tweaking your diet to more natural fats, and fewer carbs may hep stabilise things?

I also find it important to spread out the carbs through the day and avoid having more than 30g at any one meal.