1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

LCHF and Cancer

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Hedonista, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Hedonista

Hedonista Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

A friend of mine who is recovering from cancer has been recommended the ketogenic diet as an anti-cancer diet. Anyone know of any research to back this up?

2. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

No, sorry. I just know that some cancer cells feed off sugar, so a low carb diet can be helpful in some cases.

3. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

There is quite a bit being done in this field. Here's an interesting TedX talk by Dr Dominic D'Agostino on the subject:

• Like Like x 5
  4. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

A longer talk:

There are a couple of books on the subject as well, in particular Dr Thomas Seyfried's book, 'Cancer as a Metabolic Disease'.

A ketogenic diet seems to be particularly helpful with brain tumours, though it has benefit for other tumours that rely on glucose as a fuel for growth.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Hedonista

Hedonista Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'll watch that and pass it on x

6. kokhongw

kokhongw I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes if you go to pubmed, there's quite a number of research on that. Example
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4215472/

The general idea is that high circulating insulin, insulin resistance and high glucose level creates the environment for tumor growth. So reducing carbs and switching to a ketogenic state would inhibit cancer cells growth.

But there are always opposing views...so the patient have to do their own research and make their own judgement call.

7. ladybird64

ladybird64 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

8. timerich

timerich Family member · Well-Known Member

I have a book by Dr. Don Colbert and he removes wheat and sugar from the diet of his cancer patients, also dairy, it's a pretty restrictive diet but he's had patients in stage 4 cancer have the cancers shrink and go into remission.
    I tried it for eczma and took out dairy, low carbing meant I'd already cut out wheat. It went and has only just flared up since I've been grabbing something on the go while I'm visiting my husband in hospital. So I'm cutting the dairy out again (I also don't have peppers or potatoes) It's worked for me:)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook