LCHF and FASTING or EAT WELL PLATE? Or something else?!

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I misspoke in my previous post. The bolded part should have read "blindly advising you to follow a LCHF diet because they assume that just because it works for them means it must work for everyone."

@Torq while I have a lot of time for your intelligent contributions, the above comment is unnecessary. The OP tells us she/he has already done some research and found Jason Fung and Diet Doctor and asks

Any advice on whether LCHF or eat well plate is better....whether intermittent fasting works...or anything other dietary advice would be so helpful...feeling a little lost in all the information available!

While I believe it would be very unwise to comment on medications I've never used, or the benefits of diets I've never tried, I, and others, will freely share our own personal experiences with the aim of answering direct questions. My interpretation of the OP's post is that that is what is being asked.

@preRR, I am another who is more than happy to personally endorse the LCHF lifestyle choice and intermittent fasting as a positive and effective method of lowering blood sugars and restoring health and energy levels for those unable or reluctant to rely on medication and I wish you well in your search for the right choice for you

Reactions: 9 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The exercise part doesn't scare me as much as the food bit!...cutting anything out completely fills me with fear although I realise this may be necessary depending how my sugar levels change over the next few months/years. I'm hoping to be able to reduce/restrict than cut out carbs completely, at least for now.

One of the best quotes I’ve ever read goes something like “Strength: Anyone can work out for an hour, but to control what goes on your plate the other 23 hours... that's hard work.”

“Hoping” is a word you need to remove from your vocabulary no matter which diet you choose to follow. You “WILL” be able to restrict your carb intake if you are serious about achieving your health goals.

As you can see, we can get pretty passionate about what works for us (and what doesn’t) judging by the comments in this thread. I’m a big believer in sharing experiences and information, but letting other people make their own decisions. Unfortunately, that’s not always so well-received.

I think you worded it properly in saying that it “May be necessary” to restrict your carb intake. Many people find that to be the case, but some are lucky enough to achieve normal blood glucose levels through a balanced diet but limiting their total caloric intake.

Reactions: 4 people

preRR

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thank you!!! I love baking!...good to know it's still an option...might try some recipes when I get my head around all the other stuff...keeping it simple for now...or at least trying!

That sounds like a good plan to me. :) Some of us have a couple of squares of 70%+ dark chocolate when we feel the need. I started with Lindt 70% and have now worked up to 99%. The taste is so strong you don't need much. Check the packs though as some dark chocolate is still quite high in carbs. Lidl and Tesco sell their own which is OK too. I can't help you with cake because I've never really been that keen on cakes, but there are lots of recipes around the forum if you are good at baking. (I'm not!)

Reactions: 4 people

preRR

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I hear what you are saying. Remember to add new things to your diet to replace the things you are cutting out/reducing then you won't feel so hard done by. As far as I know only one person on this forum has cut out carbs completely. The rest of us have plenty of leafy green veg and low carb fruits like berries. Opt for taste as far as you can and you will wonder what you ever saw in bland foods like bread and pasta. I didn't have the benefit of this forum when I started LCHF, but I well remember filling my plate with tasty foods. For the first time since childhood hunger was not an issue. Fried breakfasts were back in again (minus the fried bread and hash browns -pity I don't like eggs :rolleyes:) I wasn't hungry anymore. There's an amazing freedom in that. Remember too that you are only just pre-diabetic, it's great that this has been picked up so early.

Oh and keep posting so we can share your progress and in doing so you will be helping others too. :)

Thank you, this is very encouraging strawberries will be the new chocolate for me!!!

Reactions: 2 people

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, this is very encouraging strawberries will be the new chocolate for me!!!
Just test them to ensure that you're personally safe to have them. Fruits are one of the foods where there seems to be quite a bit of difference in tolerance between individuals. I'm totally fine with raspberries and pineapple (which is on the 'with caution' list), but get a significant rise from strawberries, a fruit that's widely considered to be pretty safe.

Reactions: 6 people

preRR

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
One of the best quotes I’ve ever read goes something like “Strength: Anyone can work out for an hour, but to control what goes on your plate the other 23 hours... that's hard work.”

“Hoping” is a word you need to remove from your vocabulary no matter which diet you choose to follow. You “WILL” be able to restrict your carb intake if you are serious about achieving your health goals.

As you can see, we can get pretty passionate about what works for us (and what doesn’t) judging by the comments in this thread. I’m a big believer in sharing experiences and information, but letting other people make their own decisions. Unfortunately, that’s not always so well-received.

I think you worded it properly in saying that it “May be necessary” to restrict your carb intake. Many people find that to be the case, but some are lucky enough to achieve normal blood glucose levels through a balanced diet but limiting their total caloric intake.[/QUOTE"

I WILL reduce my sugar and carbs...but I HOPE that will be enough to make a good enough difference to my sugar levels and that I won't have to cut anything out completely.... I'm not always great at wording things well!!

preRR

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Just test them to ensure that you're personally safe to have them. Fruits are one of the foods where there seems to be quite a bit of difference in tolerance between individuals. I'm totally fine with raspberries and pineapple (which is on the 'with caution' list), but get a significant rise from strawberries, a fruit that's widely considered to be pretty safe.

Ohh! Thanks for that advice! I love raspberries and pineapple too!!

preRR

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Not sure I'm replying in the right way to posts...I've confused myself!...so sorry if my replies are muddled up!!

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure I'm replying in the right way to posts
I find the easiest way to reply to a specific point in a post is to highlight the pertinent bit in the original post (as you can see I just selected part of your post here) and a little flag with 'reply' on pops up, so click that and it just quotes the bit you want to refer to, without necessarily including all of a longer post.

In your reply to Torq above, you wrote your reply within the QUOTE tags that showed his post, so your reply also appears within his quote, so might not be seen.

Let's see if this works - your quoted bit should look like this below
Code:
[QUOTE ="with post details"]  text to be quoted here  [/QUOTE]
Type your reply after the closing quote tag.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@preRR apart from contributing to weight gain, carbohydrates turn to sugar in your body. So you should understand they aren't good for diabetics, or pre-diabetics. I wish I had known that when I was pre-diabetic. I could have avoided becoming diabetic.
Not necessarily I was prediabetic for some years was never overweight nor was I a high starchy carbs or sweet stuff eater always cooked meals from scratch and hardly any fast food except for the odd treat but I still developed T2 in the end

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not necessarily I was prediabetic for some years was never overweight nor was I a high starchy carbs or sweet stuff eater always cooked meals from scratch and hardly any fast food except for the odd treat but I still developed T2 in the end
But we kept telling you to reduce your carbs still further, and you wouldn't saying you didn't want to lose more weight. We also advised that taking statins would make you more likely to become T2. You replied saying that your doctor knew best. I remember a friend of mine going out of his way to help you and you were very rude to him and said that your diet was fine and worked for you. Obviously it didn't.

preRR

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
get yourself a Blood Sugar Monitor (SD codefree is the cheapest overall as the test strips are far less costly than other brands). Test before meals and 2 hours after when hopefully your blood sugars will return to the pre-meal reading).

Thanks for all the tips! I'm curious about the monitors...can you (or anyone else who knows ) explain a bit more about how they work please?...all of this is totally new to me!

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the tips! I'm curious about the monitors...can you (or anyone else who knows ) explain a bit more about how they work please?...all of this is totally new to me!

With my one, I use it to test my blood and it guesses my BG......usually incorrectly

PS Before I get told off, I'm only joshing.

The meters are not 100% accurate, but what they do give you is a really good idea of how good a control you have, and the affect different foods have on your levels, which is very important if you really want to "be the boss" of your Diabetes.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That was because I said I was fine with it, where most aren't. I will carry on eating it thank you, but others must test how it affects them personally.
?????

Are you thread bombing?
I thought I answered preRR?

I can eat pineapples all day.
But they're not exactly low carb, and you may find a lot on here may disagree with us, as to whether or not they are on the 'good' list.