LCHF and Hays diet.

KimWheeler

I'm losing weight and my body shape is changing on LCHF. BG coming down nicely. But I do wonder about the carbs. Years ago I lost weight using the Hays and Atkins diets combined .( My choice to combine) Hays is basically not mixing proteins with carbs. I've been trying a little experiment of eating my organic allotment spuds without any protein... chips and jackets so far and I've noticed they are not spiking my BG. Has anyone else tried not mixing carbs and proteins? What effect has it had on your weight , BG etc. Ranulph Feines the explorer swears by it.
E.g. tonight I had a large jacket potato at 5pm BG before dinner 6.8 and my bedtime BG at 11pm is now 6.1. I had it with a hefty dollop of butter .
I think I'll keep an open mind on this and keep tracking it.
Curious what other people think

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I must admit, @KimWheeler , that I haven't ever tried the Hays diet.

My only comment will be that if your two blood tests were at 5pm, pre-dinner, then 11pm, that's quite a long time elapsed to properly assess how your bloods have behaved. It is extremely likely that you missed any spike you had.

I'm not saying any of that to try to rain on your BBQ, but really just to suggest that you test sooner after eating. A couple of hours after eating is good. When experimenting with food, testing at c1 hour can also be informative.

I do hope your results are good for the potatoes, as they can be a simple to prepare.

Reactions: KimWheeler

KimWheeler

Hi thanks for that. That was just an e.g.. I didn't feel sluggish or sleepy or bloated as I would with combining protein and carb. If I'd have had protein with that size spud I would have gone to bed with my BG in double figures even after all that time. I'm going to carry on testing this occassionaly whilst sticking to LCHF which seems to work really well. (But I do love carbs! )

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I have seen many times that high carb high fat is not a good combination. It seems that weight loss and lowered blood glucose is what you are striving for so continued monitoring would be needed to see how this goes for you. You maybe stoking the fire or just be tolerant of this fòod type which if you are Type 2 is usually off the list, perhaps your potatoes are less starchy.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can eat small amounts of potato - about 3 small ones (roasted or boiled), 10 chips or tablespoon of mashed without a spike. I also tried a small jacket the other day and found that I was ok with that as well - I tested after 1, 2 and 3 hours as it had been a while since I last had one.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found the principles of the Hay Diet have always been marvellous for dealing with (eradicating) flatulence and indigestion.

However, even back in the 90s when I ate that way for quite a while, I found it better to simply drop the carb meals since I felt better that way - presumably because of the carb spikes. Not that I had a meter back then to measure them.

Have you encountered the Montignac Diet? I always thought that was a much better way of encouraging weight loss. It separates the fats from the carbs which means there shouldn't be high insulin levels while there is fat being digested, preventing fat being deposited. However, again, the carbs can cause spiking.

I ended up simply avoiding carbs with both diets, in order to avoid feeling unwell - but I guess it just comes back to carb tolerances.

Last edited:

KimWheeler

Hi. Not heard of the Montagnac diet but I'll read up. Just done my morning BG and it's 8.3. For me that's amazing. I have the dawn effect . So that amazing spud didn't do any of the normal carb stuff of keeping my BG raised over night. I'd have expected it to be 14 plus this morning if I'd had it with protein.
Little project for me now to see if that's consistent.

dawny1958

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. Not heard of the Montagnac diet but I'll read up. Just done my morning BG and it's 8.3. For me that's amazing. I have the dawn effect . So that amazing spud didn't do any of the normal carb stuff of keeping my BG raised over night. I'd have expected it to be 14 plus this morning if I'd had it with protein.
Little project for me now to see if that's consistent.

dawny1958

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I find any carbs affects the way I feel, They make me sluggish and just generally unwell, so for the last 3 months I have not eaten Bread Potatoes ,Pasta etc and the difference is amazing !

Reactions: KimWheeler

KimWheeler

Ok been trying this a few times now... mixing carbs with protein.. sluggish and high numbers for à long time. Lots of carbs but no protein figures remaining low and I'm not bloated or sluggish. I'll keep testing.