LCHF and Statins

Atlantico

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you Resurgam and Kitedoc for your replies.
I have been LCHF since Aug 2018 and have tried to keep my carbs around 20-30g per day and a typical day's food would be:
Pre breakfast 5.1
Breakfast 2 poached eggs on slice of cheese. Black coffee. 2 hours post breakfast 5.5
Snack. 1 fat bomb
Pre lunch 5.3
Roast lamb salad sandwich made on Iceberg lettuce leaves instead of bread.
1 hour post lunch 5.1
Snack. 1 hardboiled egg and 1 buttered oatcake.
Fell asleep, feel exhausted. 2 hours post snack BG 4.7
Pre dinner 6.7 ?
Dinner Huntsman's chicken (chicken stuffed with cheese and wrapped in bacon), Cauliflower, green beans, broccoli with knob of butter.
1 hour post dinner 4.9
Snack nuts and cheese.
I have post prandual reactive hypoglycaemia plus rapid gastric emptying and have to have snacks because of the latter.

Wonder if I have gained my weight because I am eating too much fat.

I have had a full lipid blood test done and waiting for the results.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Atlantico, thank you for that information.
I imagine the fat helps to reduce the speed of gastric emptying and if so that would seem to serve an important purpose.
Do you know what your BSLs are like other than a 2 hours post-prandial? (I am not proposing you became a pin-cushion but whether the occasional 3 hr postprandial for instance might help to establish if your likely lowest BSL is always about the 2 hours mark or not)??
And your Huntsman's chicken does sound delicious but is it too much for your needs??
And as @Resurgcrabs wrote, if you go up and down the carbs scale you risk going in and out of keto-flu. And this might be the issue with golf, just a guess.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
Did your GP give you any particular reason why you are taking it apart from "because"... unless you have had cardiac problems in the past its very unlikely to be doing much of anything so it could be a medication you could discus stopping. You say you are taking lots so one fewer might be helpful?
I know I have had issues with high cholesterol and my last reading wasn't exactly great.

I take that, my diabetic meds, Vitamin B, IBS stuff, gabapentin for my Fibromyalgia, Allopurinol for gout...the list goes on.

Ponchu

I suspect that you have kept yourself dependant on carbs by eating high carb foods, so when you decided to stop carbs you left yourself with no fuel source - it is not an instant switchover done by one low carb meal.
Remember too it is higher in fats than the normal diet, as without fats protein is broken down to make glucose.
Maybe sort out your eating plan rather than chopping and changing between different plans.
I was put onto Metformin and Atorvastatin and just five weeks did dreadful things to my mind and body. I still have not relearned to play my guitar, but there is so much to do these days.

So sad.

I gave up guitar, finally, in 2013..I had been taking video lessons for years and was pretty good. Arthritis in my left hand was too much.

I also had torn rotator cuff and arthritis in my shoulder. When taking off sweaty undershirt, I needed my wife’s assistance.

In 2018 I discovered high healthy fat and very low carbs.

Somewhere about 2 months in, I was surprised to see that my hand did not hurt.

My shoulder?

At age 56, I was able to do a pull up!

I’m back relearning guitar and am up to 10 pull ups.

Sugar. Inflammation. Ouchie.

I’m sorry for what meds did to you. I hope you recover and can go back to music.

I wake up to the app “Classic FM” every morning.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It isn't all bad - I am going through my songbook, as I had a list of songs I sang and could look them up on the internet - I made myself a book, leather, fishing line, learned to print lined pages and to sew them together, practiced my calligraphy writing them out by hand and my voice is better than ever - I learned to play melodeon - press a button get the cord, so no bother with chordbooks - but I got my first guitar over 50 years ago and it is odd not to have taken my old friend from the 60s out of the case for some years now. Maybe I'll find it all comes back to me, and it is just the nagging doubt that it will not that is keeping me from opening the locks.