1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

LCHF and Statins

Discussion in 'Reactive Hypoglycemia' started by Atlantico, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Atlantico

Atlantico Reactive hypoglycemia · Well-Known Member

Thank you Resurgam and Kitedoc for your replies.
    I have been LCHF since Aug 2018 and have tried to keep my carbs around 20-30g per day and a typical day's food would be:
    Pre breakfast 5.1
    Breakfast 2 poached eggs on slice of cheese. Black coffee. 2 hours post breakfast 5.5
    Snack. 1 fat bomb
    Pre lunch 5.3
    Roast lamb salad sandwich made on Iceberg lettuce leaves instead of bread.
    1 hour post lunch 5.1
    Snack. 1 hardboiled egg and 1 buttered oatcake.
    Fell asleep, feel exhausted. 2 hours post snack BG 4.7
    Pre dinner 6.7 ?
    Dinner Huntsman's chicken (chicken stuffed with cheese and wrapped in bacon), Cauliflower, green beans, broccoli with knob of butter.
    1 hour post dinner 4.9
    Snack nuts and cheese.
    I have post prandual reactive hypoglycaemia plus rapid gastric emptying and have to have snacks because of the latter.

Wonder if I have gained my weight because I am eating too much fat.

I have had a full lipid blood test done and waiting for the results.

2. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Atlantico, thank you for that information.
    I imagine the fat helps to reduce the speed of gastric emptying and if so that would seem to serve an important purpose.
    Do you know what your BSLs are like other than a 2 hours post-prandial? (I am not proposing you became a pin-cushion but whether the occasional 3 hr postprandial for instance might help to establish if your likely lowest BSL is always about the 2 hours mark or not)??
    And your Huntsman's chicken does sound delicious but is it too much for your needs??
    And as @Resurgcrabs wrote, if you go up and down the carbs scale you risk going in and out of keto-flu. And this might be the issue with golf, just a guess.

3. Patrick66

Patrick66 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I know I have had issues with high cholesterol and my last reading wasn't exactly great.

I take that, my diabetic meds, Vitamin B, IBS stuff, gabapentin for my Fibromyalgia, Allopurinol for gout...the list goes on.

4. Ponchu

Ponchu · Well-Known Member

So sad.

I gave up guitar, finally, in 2013..I had been taking video lessons for years and was pretty good. Arthritis in my left hand was too much.

I also had torn rotator cuff and arthritis in my shoulder. When taking off sweaty undershirt, I needed my wife’s assistance.

In 2018 I discovered high healthy fat and very low carbs.

Somewhere about 2 months in, I was surprised to see that my hand did not hurt.

My shoulder?

At age 56, I was able to do a pull up!

I’m back relearning guitar and am up to 10 pull ups.

Sugar. Inflammation. Ouchie.

I’m sorry for what meds did to you. I hope you recover and can go back to music.

I wake up to the app “Classic FM” every morning.

5. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

It isn't all bad - I am going through my songbook, as I had a list of songs I sang and could look them up on the internet - I made myself a book, leather, fishing line, learned to print lined pages and to sew them together, practiced my calligraphy writing them out by hand and my voice is better than ever - I learned to play melodeon - press a button get the cord, so no bother with chordbooks - but I got my first guitar over 50 years ago and it is odd not to have taken my old friend from the 60s out of the case for some years now. Maybe I'll find it all comes back to me, and it is just the nagging doubt that it will not that is keeping me from opening the locks.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook