1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Lchf And Which Medication

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by DumfriesDik, Sep 5, 2016.

1. DumfriesDik

DumfriesDik Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I would interested to see what medication people are on whilst following a LCHF diet. Does it matter what medication we are on to do a LCHF diet?

I am on Jardiniance/empagliflozin (20mg daily)

2. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm on Metformin and 40g of gliclizide twice a day - I have posted before a few times about my balancing it out so won't bore everyone again other than to say I tried no meds and 20g carbs and my numbers rose too high - I worked hard to balance least amount of carbs with least amount of meds and now take said meds and about 80 - 90g carbs mostly from veg a slice of burgen and few new pots etc

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. sally and james

sally and james Family member · Well-Known Member

My husband is on no meds. This was made possible by a LCHF diet.
    Initially he was on metformin, I forget how much, but dropped it as it wasn't necessary and there was no increase in numbers.
    Sally

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

nothing for D, but I take 2 other meds for other conditions.

5. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

I am no longer on meds. After I spent some time testing my blood after eating and changing my diet I didn't need meds. The improvement I got from diet alone causes me to think I never needed any meds in the first place. Nothing got any worse when I stopped taking them.

• Like Like x 1
  6. VinnyJames

VinnyJames Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I'm diet only - around 50g of carbs daily keeps me on track but I make occasional exceptions.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

No longer on meds because of V(ery)LCHF

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. psignathus

psignathus Type 2 · Well-Known Member

2 metformin. hba1c 5.3% for the last year or so.

• Like Like x 1
  9. britishpub

britishpub Type 2 · Well-Known Member

No Meds.

Low Carb with no counting, cos I'm too lazy.

• Like Like x 1
  10. walnut_face

walnut_face Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Was on 1000 Mg of metformin, that has been reduced to 500 Mg since July.
    Hoping to not HAVE to take them in future, but for other reasons I will probably continue

• Like Like x 1
  11. Cat0409_

Cat0409_ Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Novorapid and Levemir insulin's
    Have at the start of my lchf journey been on novomix, metformin sr, gliclazide and lantus at different intervals.
    I am unable to take any forms of metformin due to constant stomach cramps. As my bs's came down I was taken off gliclazide. My lantus has just been swapped to levemir so am still adjusting to it.

I take between 2 -8 units of novorapid when I eat and 10 units currently 2 x daily of levemir.
    So each of our journeys with meds and lchf is very different. My levemir will probably reduce as my weight continues to come down but my novorapid will probably continue to stay in the same range.

12. luceeloo

luceeloo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Metformin and Lixisenatide. I am 3 weeks into vlchf, and my readings aren't great, but they are very steady!

• Like Like x 1
  13. chalup

chalup Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Forxiga and metformin and < 20 gram carb per day. Still having trouble controlling it but under 8 most of the time.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DumfriesDik

DumfriesDik Type 2 · Well-Known Member

:eek:

WOW that's mission impossible, good luck with it and well done on getting below 8's.

It is good to see so many people taking various medications whilst doing the LCHF diet. I wondered if it might be more suitable for those on a particular medication. No medication seems very popular though. Keep at it guys & gals.

15. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

No medication, LCHF and intermittent fasting.

• Like Like x 1
  16. britishpub

britishpub Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that no medication is "popular"

Everybody is different and everybody will be at a different stage on Diagnosis, and afterwards.

If you require Meds then you should always take them, there should be no stigma attached nor prizes awarded for not requiring them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. bulkbiker

Part of the reason for me (and I think many others) going LCHF was to not to have a need for any medication. Certainly after my metformin experiences I was determined to not need to take it and now don't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. bulkbiker

Well I would kind of disagree with you there.. Who determines if you "require" meds? My diabetes nurse wanted me on metformin and statins from the day of diagnosis. I refused the statins ( I think they do little if any good.. solely my opinion) and agreed to try the metformin. After my body's reaction to the met I stopped it.
    If someone told me I should eat something that constantly made me ill I think I would have the brains to stop eating it..
    Medication is something that should be discussed by the doctor with the patient and both should agree that the patient should take it - it is my belief that "forcing" medication on people is not good - however unless you can say no to your HCP that appears to be made quite difficult.

19. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It's not always that simple though - I wish it was - I tried extremely hard to drop all my meds and initially felt a failure when it didn't work as lots of here at the time thought all you had to do was eat less than 20g of carbs and hey presto no more meds - it's not like that for some of us my numbers started to rise into double figures that I hadn't had since diagnosis - over a few months I took back my gliclizide and adjusted it along with my carbs to get the optimum level - I agree with @britishpub that everyone is at different stages in their diagnosis- and there is no stigma to needing meds - whilst I celebrate anyone who can achieve no meds we have to be careful not to give false hope to those of us that just can't for whatever reason

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. bulkbiker

But I never said it was simple.. I agree with you completely if the medication is doing you some good then fine carry on with it. In my case it wasn't so I took the decision to stop.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook