Lchf Bg Rising

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect the latter - though it is good in a way as diabetics tend to store glucose as fat rather than the 'normal' route of glycogen - if you are storing glucose as glycogen and your liver is now overflowing with it that is a sign of returning normality.
Does that happen if you are underweight?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you had tests to rule out LADA/type1? I ask because you've been diagnosed about half a year ago and a low carb diet initially gave you lower numbers, but now they're creeping up again.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, you should't ask a lady how old she is lol, but I'm 55 and past the menopause.
so am i, but i still get hot flushes and monthly fluctuations like mild PMT even 5 years after my last period : (

and they coincides with my blood sugars going up and down in the mornings over the space of about 5 weeks : (

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you had tests to rule out LADA/type1? I ask because you've been diagnosed about half a year ago and a low carb diet initially gave you lower numbers, but now they're creeping up again.
I asked about being type 1 with my DN but she said I couldn't be. I was thinking of getting a private test to check. What do you think? Thanks

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I asked about being type 1 with my DN but she said I couldn't be. I was thinking of getting a private test to check. What do you think? Thanks
why did she say you couldnt be? I would see the GP for futher investigation - the misinformation of some DN's is astonishing.

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so am i, but i still get hot flushes and monthly fluctuations like mild PMT even 5 years after my last period : (

and they coincides with my blood sugars going up and down in the mornings over the space of about 5 weeks : (
Oh sorry, but I only looked at your picture lol. My blood sugars have been high during the day, that's why I thought it was a problem. My levels were o.k until the last couple of days but now they seem to be higher. Hopefully, they will settle down again soon, fingers crossed. It's so hard sometimes, I'm pretty new to all this and it sometimes feels so depressing as I feel so out of control. I'm trying so hard and when things like this happen, I just feel like giving up!!! I know some people are worse than me and I really feel for them, but when you try so hard to make things right and it makes no difference you kind of get pretty down about it.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh sorry, but I only looked at your picture lol. My blood sugars have been high during the day, that's why I thought it was a problem. My levels were o.k until the last couple of days but now they seem to be higher. Hopefully, they will settle down again soon, fingers crossed. It's so hard sometimes, I'm pretty new to all this and it sometimes feels so depressing as I feel so out of control. I'm trying so hard and when things like this happen, I just feel like giving up!!! I know some people are worse than me and I really feel for them, but when you try so hard to make things right and it makes no difference you kind of get pretty down about it.
remember to take it day by day. we are not machines, so sometimes I think even the day of the week seems to affect my blood sugar levels lol Its the long run which counts, one meal at a time.

Reactions: mazza 2

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
why did she say you couldnt be? I would see the GP for futher investigation - the misinformation of some DN's is astonishing.
I can't remember why, my partner was with me too and he can't remember either. I was thinking of getting a private test, just to rule it out. That's the only way to know for sure. I don't want to be LADA but I'd rather know.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't remember why, my partner was with me too and he can't remember either. I was thinking of getting a private test, just to rule it out. That's the only way to know for sure. I don't want to be LADA but I'd rather know.
Why not give your DN a call and ask? Could be just time of the moon, the music your neighbours are playing, an unnoticed cold or infection, or any other thing messing with your bg, but it could be auto-immune as well. At least until your DN gives a plausible reason why you couldn't be.
Still, with those numbers it's not a right out emergency, so you could choose to take your time and not go private.

marshallrh

Hi Everyone
Just wanted to ask for some advice as always. I've been low-carbing since diagnosed in January so this is my 5th month. For the last few days my BG level has risen into the 8's and 9's. I have changed nothing. I am classed as underweight now and can't afford to lose any more weight. I am on the highest dose of metformin. Has the LCHF diet stopped working for me, should I try something different. Just wondered if this has happened to anybody else. Thanks
Happens to me when I get ill, e.g. a cold. For more detail, search "reasons for blood sugar swings"

Reactions: Serena51

Fuggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone
Just wanted to ask for some advice as always. I've been low-carbing since diagnosed in January so this is my 5th month. For the last few days my BG level has risen into the 8's and 9's. I have changed nothing.

Logically IF you haven't changed something, then something else has. Have you had dental work, amalgam fillings? something you dont necessarily associate with blood sugar that can effect it. Have you started supplements with starch fillers? etc. you get my drift, its detective work

Is your sleep quality good, you may have high cortisol levels. Dr Jason Fung said he isn't worried about blood glucose as such, its insulin levels that are important, especially if you are still insulin resistant. Check him out on youtube.
Or as others say, you may have inflammation/infection and your body defences are ramping up, along with the fuel to support it. Get some inflammatory marker test done by the Dr perhaps?
Good luck.

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Logically IF you haven't changed something, then something else has. Have you had dental work, amalgam fillings? something you dont necessarily associate with blood sugar that can effect it. Have you started supplements with starch fillers? etc. you get my drift, its detective work

Is your sleep quality good, you may have high cortisol levels. Dr Jason Fung said he isn't worried about blood glucose as such, its insulin levels that are important, especially if you are still insulin resistant. Check him out on youtube.
Or as others say, you may have inflammation/infection and your body defences are ramping up, along with the fuel to support it. Get some inflammatory marker test done by the Dr perhaps?
Good luck.
I did go to the dentist on Friday but only to see the hygienist and my sister went in for a procedure at the hospital today which has been very stressful. She has basal cell carcinoma on the bridge of her nose and its been there a very long time. I have been with her all day, so today has been very stressful, but my levels have been higher since Saturday. I'l see how they go over this week, but Friday will also be stressful as she i due to have a major operation. We have to be at the hospital at 7.30am so not sure whether to eat before I go or eat when I get there. I do know if I don't eat first thing in the morning my levels increase so any advice will be good.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I did go to the dentist on Friday but only to see the hygienist and my sister went in for a procedure at the hospital today which has been very stressful. She has basal cell carcinoma on the bridge of her nose and its been there a very long time. I have been with her all day, so today has been very stressful, but my levels have been higher since Saturday. I'l see how they go over this week, but Friday will also be stressful as she i due to have a major operation. We have to be at the hospital at 7.30am so not sure whether to eat before I go or eat when I get there. I do know if I don't eat first thing in the morning my levels increase so any advice will be good.

I think could be the dental work and stress due to your sister's illness combined. I'd try to eat before you go to the hospital, because there may not be canteen/cafe facilities available until around 9am. Can you pack a lunch bag with low carb snacks, so that you don't have to go hungry?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Best wishes to you and your sister.

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think could be the dental work and stress due to your sister's illness combined. I'd try to eat before you go to the hospital, because there may not be canteen/cafe facilities available until around 9am. Can you pack a lunch bag with low carb snacks, so that you don't have to go hungry?
I was thinking it would be better to take something to eat. Maybe an avocado and egg, can't think of too much else lol. It could have been the dentist (hate going) although my levels wee o.k that day, it was the day after they started to rise slightly. Still, I'm hoping they will settle down soon as it's stressful in itself when the levels change for no reason. Thanks

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was thinking it would be better to take something to eat. Maybe an avocado and egg, can't think of too much else lol. It could have been the dentist (hate going) although my levels wee o.k that day, it was the day after they started to rise slightly. Still, I'm hoping they will settle down soon as it's stressful in itself when the levels change for no reason. Thanks

Eggs, cooked bacon, avocado, cheese, cooked meats, ham, chicken etc. Nuts......no need to starve!

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, my blood glucose is normally in the high 5's or 6's when waking. The last 2 days they have been in the high 7's. I know about dawn phenomenon so am not to concerned about that. After my normal breakfast it rose to 8.3 and stayed in the high 7's. At lunch it was 7.5. I had chicken and veg and it rose to 8.3 after 2 hours and stayed in the high 7s and at bedtime it was 9.3. Today it was 7.3 on waking and has been in the high 8's all day. I've been out for a long walk, done all the usual things and it's still 8.3. Does that make sense.

Hello "Mazza", Sorry to butt in when you are having such a good conversation with all these ladies. I'm looking at your diet - you say you are underweight but considering that you are eating 3 meals per day (and if you are not an employee) you are eating pretty well (depending on the size of the portions). Eating big meals does not necessarily cause you to put on weight - it can just make you go to the toilet more often and it does force your BS up. You also seem to be a worrier - and under a lot of stress and that can also force your BS up. Assuming that you are NOT going down with a cold or some other illness - try this little experiment: Test your FASTING BS in the morning before breakfast. DO NOT TEST AGAIN until the next morning - then try the same pattern again. Keep this up for a whole week and see if you fasting BS is down to near normal.

Regular testing 5 or 6 times per day CAN cause you to WORRY and in turn FORCE your BS up. You need a calmer lifestyle and the advice to have some "ME" time and pamper yourself a little can be good advice.

I am only an "old" man (76 years) but I can remember how stress used to send my BS crazy. Now retired my BS seldom goes above 6 on the LCHF diet and I sometimes cheat by eating "After Eight" chocolate.

Have a nice relaxing day.

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello "Mazza", Sorry to butt in when you are having such a good conversation with all these ladies. I'm looking at your diet - you say you are underweight but considering that you are eating 3 meals per day (and if you are not an employee) you are eating pretty well (depending on the size of the portions). Eating big meals does not necessarily cause you to put on weight - it can just make you go to the toilet more often and it does force your BS up. You also seem to be a worrier - and under a lot of stress and that can also force your BS up. Assuming that you are NOT going down with a cold or some other illness - try this little experiment: Test your FASTING BS in the morning before breakfast. DO NOT TEST AGAIN until the next morning - then try the same pattern again. Keep this up for a whole week and see if you fasting BS is down to near normal.

Regular testing 5 or 6 times per day CAN cause you to WORRY and in turn FORCE your BS up. You need a calmer lifestyle and the advice to have some "ME" time and pamper yourself a little can be good advice.

I am only an "old" man (76 years) but I can remember how stress used to send my BS crazy. Now retired my BS seldom goes above 6 on the LCHF diet and I sometimes cheat by eating "After Eight" chocolate.

Have a nice relaxing day.
You're not butting in at all. You are quite right, I am a worrier by nature. Getting high numbers is stressful when you feel you are doing all the right things. It is a stressful time at the moment and I know that can raise blood sugars, but it's not knowing if that is the reason, or if something else is going on. I'll take your advice, but probably will test more than once, maybe 3 times a day for a week. I suppose I have nothing to lose, and if it works it will be worth it. Thank you for your advice. Take care