Lchf diet and ketosis

alliebee

Another question please. I'm back on the forum after a six month awol (head in sand) and into day 3 of low carbing. Can anyone tell me roughly how long it takes to go into ketosis?...I've cut carbs very low to start with. Mainly from veggies. Thanks

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Honest answer - it varies. A lot.

It depends on how often you have been in ketosis before. The more often, the easier it seems to slip back into ketosis.

Also, the stricter you low carb, the quicker.

Also, different people, with different bodies, activity levels, glycogen stores, and metabolisms get there at different rates.

Have you got any ketostix?

My experience is I usually feel the first indications after 3-5 days, sometimes less. And from that point I am firmly 'in ketosis'. But the proper ketoadaptation, where the whole body has adjusted, stamina is up, BG is stabilised, sleep is deeper and refreshing, cravings a distant memory, glycogen stores minimal... That takes weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been low carbing for two years. I usually have between 30 and 50g per day and haven't been in ketosis. So I guess it varies for a lot of people

Reactions: 2 people

alliebee

Thanks so much..that's all so helpful...yes I have got ketostix now. And I'm averaging under 30 gm carb a day. Not even a week yet and my bg is much better and carb cravings have just dissapeared...thanks you guys

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Jack. Very helpful links. I really appreciate the help
the only thing to add is..if in doubt put more healthy fat/oils in your diet,, take the fat very seriously
if you get tired, cold, no energy, hungry, craving

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
don't forget the olive and coconut oil too
eggs cooked in duck fat and a sliced mushroom thrown in to soak it up...is there anything better :)