LCHF Diet for "normal" people

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I am T2 and on the LCHF. My wife wants to join in.

As a non diabetic, what do you think she should be aiming at for Low Carb. I have suggested 130g (ish) per day.

Is there an app she can use to count carbs? I don't use one but she likes her apps.

FYI - the LCHF has helped me - losing about 6 kgs in 3 months - which is why she is interested.

thanks guys

Undlosgehtes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well my partner eats as I do, even though he is non diabetic. He usually eats other stuff when I am not around e.g. at work, when they are having some company dinner and also he still drinks beer. He feels good with this way of eating and finds it pleasing not to have to think about food the whole time, because also non diabetics have bloodsugar highs and bloodsugar lows. Maybe it will do for your wife well to conciously leave out bread, pasta, rice, oats, wheatflour and fruit. Then add in more veggies and good fats and it will not be so complicated. There are different apps people are using for tracking their makros, like myfitnespal etc. And if you are already on it, why aren't you cooking the dinners?:):):)

Reactions: AloeSvea

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ixi1429 my partner eats a LCHF diet top and he isn’t diabetic. He is losing weight. I track my carbs and calories by keeping a food and exercise diary on myfitnesspal.

Happyhomelands

My husband needs to lose quite a bit of weight so he is delighted that I have been low carbing since January. He has lost well over a stone by eating with me at home and having a jacket potato with beans for lunch. His sugars go low 3.9 being the lowest. He is pleased to be losing quicker than me and his GP was not concerned. Dieting much easier for me because he is eating the same and does not want to cheat. Sorry for the ramble, short version is yes go for it ♀️

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would cook the dinners etc but wife has been following slimming world - which has worked for her, she's just impressed how ell the LCHF has worked for me. She only works part time so the bulk of the domestic chores falls on her. (FYI when I was redundant a few years back - she didn't do anything - bt then I had a Scottish grandmother and a father who was a Sarn't major so I am highly trained :) ).

She does like her "carbs" which is why I thought 130g which will allow her some pasta etc.

Happyhomelands

I would cook the dinners etc but wife has been following slimming world - which has worked for her, she's just impressed how ell the LCHF has worked for me. She only works part time so the bulk of the domestic chores falls on her. (FYI when I was redundant a few years back - she didn't do anything - bt then I had a Scottish grandmother and a father who was a Sarn't major so I am highly trained :) ).

She does like her "carbs" which is why I thought 130g which will allow her some pasta etc.
All things are relative. I love carbs too, so reducing to 150, then 100 was an achievement for me. She should benefit from reducing carbs to the levels you suggest.

Undlosgehtes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The most substantial change to be made I suggest would be breakfast, eggs and such.....avoids the blood sugar spike and maybe she will be able to go without snacking till lunchtime. For me this was a major change, because before I was muesli and porridge eater. Not a lot of willpower was needed with this small change.

Reactions: kokhongw

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
You mentioned your wife likes apps to track things. She might like the ketodiet.app

https://ketodietapp.com/

It has 2 levels, so she can choose how much info and/or tracking she wants. There are also lots of recipes between the app and the blog.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been eating low carb all my adult life and often hear the comment that I do not look my age - my sister is three years younger than me and always goes on about my hair colour - she has been grey for a very long time. I even get my bus pass checked by anyone who is new on the route.
I get into trouble on another forum for recommending that if people are eating carbs that they eat foods with good nutrition - processed grain is not at all nutritious - bread has to have additives by law, as it is so poor a foodstuff, though potatoes, eaten with the skin on are quite good - you can live on them. I would suggest that you encourage your wife to go for the salads and fresh (or frozen) veges you can eat and add as many carbs as seems practicable.

Reactions: Mufflana