LCHF Diet

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It will be different for everyone. Also how low you want to go with the LCHF way of eating . I personally was in higher figures than you so needed to reduce gradually .. I am now on 20g of carbs a day and I think it would of taken me less than a week to get from 9 to about 5.5. with the 20g of carbs a day. BUT we are all different. don't forget to have full fat with this way of eating, you need the fat for energy as you won't be getting the sugar from carbs for energy with LCHF

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It really depends on how LC you go and how well you stick to it.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. it will depend on a number of factors.

Personally I went very low carb almost immediately as I knew that would be the best way for me to approach it, and my BG levels improved quickly, but others may be better taking a more gradual approach.

Anja5675

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Anyone know about the ketones? I expect to have starvation ketones, but will there also be blood ketones if I test with a meter?? I'm starting Lchf next week. Sorry for asking her but couldn't figure out how to ask a question from my phone...

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine takes about three weeks on 20-30g carb per day x

Louise M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The misinformation out there about diabetes and misunderstanding of difference between Type1 and 2 .
Do you get ketones with this diet

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes - if you're low carbing low enough then you'll go into ketosis. X

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Anyone know about the ketones? I expect to have starvation ketones, but will there also be blood ketones if I test with a meter?? I'm starting Lchf next week. Sorry for asking her but couldn't figure out how to ask a question from my phone...

Starvation ketones?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a lot of confusion amongst doctors and medical professionals between 'nutritional ketosis' and 'ketoacidosis'.

Hopefully the link below should explain why ketones are a good thing, on a ketogenic diet.

http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/ketoacidosis.html

The key thing is that ketoacidosis only happens when ketones are higher than will occur on a ketogenic diet AND insulin levels are too low.

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
I saw a new DN this morning for my yearly check, she was very happy with everything including finding dietary ketones, rather than ketoacidosis when checking my sample.

I explained I had switched from Meds to a LCHF diet and all the benefits I had since switching, and is happy to see me again in six months to check my progress. My old DN would lecture on about the importance of eating 150-200 carbs a day, so that has been a real bonus today.

Reactions: 7 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone know about the ketones? I expect to have starvation ketones, but will there also be blood ketones if I test with a meter?? I'm starting Lchf next week.
If you go low enough carb you will start to burn fat instead of carbs, in which case you will see lowish level of ketones with ketone test strips. There are a number of other type 1s who eat an LCHF diet (one is @robert72) so you may like to ask for advice from them; you'll probably need to adjust insulin doses to match your reduction in carbs.

And as @Brunneria has pointed out re ketoacidosis you'll also need to keep an eye on your glucose levels. LCHF is generally safer for type 2s who don't use insulin as they're not likely to end up with DKA, since they usually produce enough of their own to avoid this happening. If you are eating properly and watching glucose levels, you shouldn't (and don't want to) see any figures in the "starvation range". Keep within the safe green range - see chart below - there's no actual dietary benefit in going any higher.

The following graph has been posted several times previously, but here it is again for reference:

optimal-ketosis-range-2.jpg

Robbity

Reactions: 9 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Anja5675 - Keep an eye on the ketones - they may not show much in the first few weeks until you become keto-adapted. Also you will probably need to re-test your basal rates and possibly work out how to bolus for protein. Mainly you'll need to observe how much insulin you need to keep your BGs level as your current carb ratios might not apply.