Lchf For 12 Years:

rag01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosed 2002: Refused Metformin: Searched for genuine studies and papers on the subject of dietary requirements: went LCHF late 2002: Been within the BG levels for a non-diabetic for the last 12 years: This is NOT a "new" method of control as can be seen in the 1917 publication by Rebecca W Oppenheimer..https://archive.org/stream/diabeticcookeryr00oppeiala#page/n0/mode/2up.

The £10 billion a year cost to our NHS was the result of the Food manufacturers lobby (Carbs = Cash) and the total misunderstanding that low carb animal fats were deadly. While this is an over-simplification it is interesting that the voices of science and quality reasoning on the LCHF subject are only now being taken-up by organisations such as this one and expressed in public . My GP practice are still not openly suggesting this method of relieving the Insulin demand on my Pancreas and I understand this is typical throughout the UK as it is in Canada where I have a family member with the same T2 issues.

I personally took a science and math factual based approach to my T2 and while difficult it has worked. There is now an increasing amount of data being made available around T2 Insulin issues which, when factored into one's meal plan has removed the need for med's by many as has undertaking some Intermittent Fasting which I have been doing twice a week for the last 3 years.

My only concern here is the idea that one can be "cured" or this put into "remission". In 12 years I have not strayed from my varied meal plans except over the last 3 years and then only occasionally by 1 homemade chocolate (70%) muffin for an afternoon snack. One cannot return to one's old junk food high carb eating habits as it will eventually push one straight back into the T2 black hole. In my opinion there is no "cure" only "Controlled and Maintained Remission".

It's not all bad as my partner and I have created great tasting quality meal plans made at home with very few store bought pre-manufactured ingredients. I even make my own Sourdough bread that I eat in 25 gram portions topped with Spinach and Stilton Scrambled eggs and two rashers of pan spiced Bacon... (always sounds good to me).

One can manage this T2 issue but it takes some real determination and some dietary/recipe imagination. I still read the following web/blog created by and engineer who loves math, has a partner with T1 and he is pre T2 so a real "needs-must" situation: https://optimisingnutrition.com/

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome - and congratulations on your sustained control for so long!

You will find that LCHF, intermittent fasting and the Reversal/Remission/Control debates are discussed widely here. :)
Come join the fun.

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diagnosed 2002: Refused Metformin: Searched for genuine studies and papers on the subject of dietary requirements: went LCHF late 2002: Been within the BG levels for a non-diabetic for the last 12 years: This is NOT a "new" method of control as can be seen in the 1917 publication by Rebecca W Oppenheimer..https://archive.org/stream/diabeticcookeryr00oppeiala#page/n0/mode/2up.

The £10 billion a year cost to our NHS was the result of the Food manufacturers lobby (Carbs = Cash) and the total misunderstanding that low carb animal fats were deadly. While this is an over-simplification it is interesting that the voices of science and quality reasoning on the LCHF subject are only now being taken-up by organisations such as this one and expressed in public . My GP practice are still not openly suggesting this method of relieving the Insulin demand on my Pancreas and I understand this is typical throughout the UK as it is in Canada where I have a family member with the same T2 issues.

I personally took a science and math factual based approach to my T2 and while difficult it has worked. There is now an increasing amount of data being made available around T2 Insulin issues which, when factored into one's meal plan has removed the need for med's by many as has undertaking some Intermittent Fasting which I have been doing twice a week for the last 3 years.

My only concern here is the idea that one can be "cured" or this put into "remission". In 12 years I have not strayed from my varied meal plans except over the last 3 years and then only occasionally by 1 homemade chocolate (70%) muffin for an afternoon snack. One cannot return to one's old junk food high carb eating habits as it will eventually push one straight back into the T2 black hole. In my opinion there is no "cure" only "Controlled and Maintained Remission".

It's not all bad as my partner and I have created great tasting quality meal plans made at home with very few store bought pre-manufactured ingredients. I even make my own Sourdough bread that I eat in 25 gram portions topped with Spinach and Stilton Scrambled eggs and two rashers of pan spiced Bacon... (always sounds good to me).

One can manage this T2 issue but it takes some real determination and some dietary/recipe imagination. I still read the following web/blog created by and engineer who loves math, has a partner with T1 and he is pre T2 so a real "needs-must" situation: https://optimisingnutrition.com/

Congratulations on such great & long term management!

I'll agree and disaree on your perspective about remission. What you are doing seems clearly to be management. I started doing that, and am/was very clear that when I keep my BG within normal ranges by strictly limiting carbs it is management, not remission.

I'm also currently working on remission via a very low calorie diet (based on the Newcastle research. I successfully moved from diabetes (as measured by OGTT) to prediabetes. In other words there has been an actual change in how my body responds to carbs that allows me to eat closer to "normal" diet and still maintain normal blood glucose levels. 100% of the first Newcastle group went into remission (meaning after ending the 8-week diet, the participants could return to eating a diet with calories equally spread across protein, fat, and carbohydrates, with normal responses to the consumed carbohydrates.

I got to 6 weeks before cancer interrupted, and am just now restarting with a goal of remission. Whether I'll get there or not - who knows, but remission clearly (based on well documented research measuring the insulin response) is possible for at least some people. If it doesn't work for me - I'll re-join you in the management status.

Reactions: 2 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
LCHF for the win! It's a super healthy way of eating, as you are demonstrating.

As you point out the health care industry has not figured this out. I suppose there's not much profit in healthy people.

My diabetes nurse thinks my diet is atrociously unhealthy even though my lab test results are excellent. She also comments on how healthy I look when I see her. She doesn't get that my "unhealthy" diet is what's keeping me healthy.

Reactions: 16 people

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My diabetes nurse thinks my diet is atrociously unhealthy even though my lab test results are excellent. She also comments on how healthy I look when I see her.

From Wikipedia - "Doublethink is the act of simultaneously accepting two mutually contradictory beliefs as correct, often in distinct social contexts.[1] Doublethink is related to, but differs from, hypocrisy and neutrality. Also related is cognitive dissonance, in which contradictory beliefs cause conflict in one's mind. Doublethink is notable due to a lack of cognitive dissonance — thus the person is completely unaware of any conflict or contradiction.

George Orwell created the word doublethink in his dystopian novel Nineteen Eighty-Four (published in 1948); doublethink is part of newspeak. In the novel, its origin within the typical citizen is unclear; while it could be partly a product of Big Brother's formal brainwashing programmes,[2] the novel explicitly shows people learning Doublethink and newspeak due to peer pressure and a desire to "fit in", or gain status within the Party — to be seen as a loyal Party Member. In the novel, for someone to even recognize – let alone mention – any contradiction within the context of the Party line was akin to blasphemy, and could subject that someone to possible disciplinary action and to the instant social disapproval of fellow Party Members."

Thanks George Orwell - you were dead right!:rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 people

rag01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations on such great & long term management!

I'll agree and disaree on your perspective about remission. What you are doing seems clearly to be management. I started doing that, and am/was very clear that when I keep my BG within normal ranges by strictly limiting carbs it is management, not remission.

I'm also currently working on remission via a very low calorie diet (based on the Newcastle research. I successfully moved from diabetes (as measured by OGTT) to prediabetes. In other words there has been an actual change in how my body responds to carbs that allows me to eat closer to "normal" diet and still maintain normal blood glucose levels. 100% of the first Newcastle group went into remission (meaning after ending the 8-week diet, the participants could return to eating a diet with calories equally spread across protein, fat, and carbohydrates, with normal responses to the consumed carbohydrates.

I got to 6 weeks before cancer interrupted, and am just now restarting with a goal of remission. Whether I'll get there or not - who knows, but remission clearly (based on well documented research measuring the insulin response) is possible for at least some people. If it doesn't work for me - I'll re-join you in the management status.
I must agree with your comment about the "Management" aspect of this condition. Having taken a couple of years to get my BG "under control" it did indeed become a management process. I tend not to view this on-going process as Management any longer just simply the correct way of eating. When all of the science I trusted was bundled together the resultant LCHF method became a relatively simple way of consuming one's ingredients / recipes. The data on Insulin Response I found some years ago created another column in my ever growing spread sheet but changed my ingredient list very tittle from the original Carb analysis.

Our cupboards contain quality ingredients costing no more than the junk we used to stuff the cupboards with, as we buy less quantity but better quality for the same budget. We create all of our meals from scratch with the exception of some curry sauces that were carefully chosen for their contents and create many of the recipes in volume for the freezer.

I hope you manage to triumph over your current adversity: Are you taking the Keto route for additional support. I understand it can be assistance in your particular situation.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend not to view this on-going process as Management any longer just simply the correct way of eating.
That's our view. We now eat a healthy diet (LCHF), which costs us less than the "healthy whole grains" and fruit/fruit juice diet of years gone by and, as a result, we are healthy. It's a normal-for-humans diet, producing normal health, nothing to do with remission or management in my book, just a case of stop hitting you head against a brick wall and your head will stop hurting.
Sally

rag01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I must agree with your comment about the "Management" aspect of this condition. Having taken a couple of years to get my BG "under control" it did indeed become a management process. I tend not to view this on-going process as Management any longer just simply the correct way of eating. When all of the science I trusted was bundled together the resultant LCHF method became a relatively simple way of consuming one's ingredients / recipes. The data on Insulin Response I found some years ago created another column in my ever growing spread sheet but changed my ingredient list very tittle from the original Carb analysis.

Our cupboards contain quality ingredients costing no more than the junk we used to stuff the cupboards with, as we buy less quantity but better quality for the same budget. We create all of our meals from scratch with the exception of some curry sauces that were carefully chosen for their contents and create many of the recipes in volume for the freezer.

I hope you manage to triumph over your current adversity: Are you taking the Keto route for additional support. I understand it can be assistance in your particular situation.
Hi: You might find this of interest:https://optimisingnutrition.com/2016/02/28/antonio-c-martinez-iis-type-2-diabetes-reversal/