Type 1 Lchf For A Teen

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello guys I have a question regarding LCHF diet. I often see that people who use it loose weight. However, I am already losing some weight due to high blood sugars :( regardless I have it under control as I am passing through one of those periods when you just loosen the control a bit and diabetes is messed up. Anyway, I am a thin teenager by nature. For refernce I am 62KG 178CM and I am 18 years old. What is LCHF? Who is eligible for this diet? Thank you in advance.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello guys I have a question regarding LCHF diet. I often see that people who use it loose weight. However, I am already losing some weight due to high blood sugars :( regardless I have it under control as I am passing through one of those periods when you just loosen the control a bit and diabetes is messed up. Anyway, I am a thin teenager by nature. For refernce I am 62KG 178CM and I am 18 years old. What is LCHF? Who is eligible for this diet? Thank you in advance.
I take it you're a type 1, considering your age. (Can't see type on the app). LCHF is a Low Carb, High Fat diet. For (often overweight) T2's, it brings about weight loss and better control. Assuming you already count carbs and bolus accordingly, it could be an option for you to get the bloodsugars under control, -maybe add more proteine to up your weight though- just be really careful you don't hypo. More than that, don't start it without discussing it with your diabetes team. I have to be honest and say if your bs is so high you're losing weight, it's not alright and in control. You're probably damaging your kidneys, eyes and whatnot. It's not just weightloss going on, though that may be what is most noticable. It's a good idea to talk to your team in any case. Bring up low carb while you're at it. Good luck!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Teenage years control can be messy due to hormones etc.
Getting your sugars in line is important to stop unplanned weight loss.
Lower carbs can make management easier sometimes, but equally perhaps a while of consistent carbs and dosing can help you spot patterns and issues.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi there @alphabeta
in your post you said you are already losing some weight due to high blood sugars...... this can be dangerous.
getting control of your Blood sugars really needs to be your number 1 priority............ are you speaking with your DSN ( diabetes nurse )............