LCHF success stories from type 1's

forge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
I am T2 and do no major carbs only (no HF) but extra veg. It works for me and I do it under medical supervision and they are happy with that but as I get my weight down and my carb tolerance goes up they want me to introduce some major carbs back into my diet.

I am sure everyone gives advice with good intent.

Radical diets for anyone is a risk no mattter what anyone on a forum says, someone so young has an even bigger development risk and forumites are only guessing they have no knowledge of what development issues might emerge let alone things like cancers after 20.30, 40 50, 60 pick a number years.

My suggestion would be not to ignore the medical advice for forum advice

That said' I would be looking at a working out an approved diet with lower than avarage carbs spread over the whole day to ease the spikes.

Teeny75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ill informed people!
6-12-12 is for adults. The numbers would need adjusting for a 6 year old. Have you checked Dr B's books and sites for a specific recommendation for children? If not then you should be careful. It is a shame the pediatric team won't support you on LCHF.

There are pediatric ketogenic diets for epilepsy, maybe you could look at those?

I will do a search for the peadiatric diets. Dr B suggests kids require even less carbs. She is happy, thriving and enjoys her food. Just had a call from peas dietician who has grave concerns - surely feeding massive amounts of carbs to a carb sensitive child would be worse?

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Seen massive carbs being fed to children.. They get fat and unhealthy...

Sorry if this is a generalisation of lots of carbs to kids but why are there so many reports on media saying so many are now obese.

With children and adults I belueve the mire carbs, the more insulin, the mire mistakes....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just saw the senior consultant who said to me "you can't have high carbs. We don't teach that, but it's true. I'm not saying you need to have low carbs, but if you have high carbs, your diabetes will suffer, your health will suffer, we know that."

A refreshingly honest view.

Reactions: 6 people
N

nicbarnett

Thanks for this thread,I am a obese type 1 diabetic, who wants to go low carb for wright.loss and better control, may I ask what you all eat?? Thank you xx

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Nic,
If you take a look at the "what have you eaten today" thread in the low carb section of the forum, there's loads of ideas on what we all eat :)

scramps

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This is fascinating! My daughter is 9, dx 18 months ago and on MDIs. Our control is OK but she still spikes quite a bit after meals. LCHF makes a lot of sense to me and I have just seen a presentation by Dr Troy Stapleton on youtube. However I'm not sure how suitable such a diet is for a child? Do you have to stick rigidly to LCHF diet or is it something that you can do in moderation? And what happens when you do want to go out for a pizza, or enjoy a slice of birthday cake?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can do it as moderately as you like and there is no need to be rigid. With a child make sure she gets all her nutritional and energy needs met. But remember there is no minimum requirement for carbs. (She won't get that low anyway). Just make sure she is getting a broad range of foods ("colours") for the micronutrients, and ample fats and protein for macronutrients and growth.

Epileptic children are put on very low carb diets without ill effect.

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is your daughter carb counting to adjust her mealtime bolus doses? If so the occasional slice of cake or pizza is manageable. It may throw her out of ketosis for a while so expect a period of carb cravings afterward.