LCHF without dairy?

Kazza25

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi there

Bit of a dilemma - I'm newly diagnosed type 2, on metformin, but trying to go low carb to try and control BS as much as possible myself. I understand the principle that to reduce carbs (or cut them out altogether) you need to increase protein and fats in your diet.

I am a meat eater so the protein bit is no problem whatsoever - I am really struggling with the fat however. It seems that the main way people find to increase fats in their diet is through dairy products. I cannot eat any dairy - I use olive oil in cooking, and skimmed milk in tea (cannot bear the fullfat stuff)

Is there a way of increasing the 'good' fats without butter, milk, yoghurt, cheese, cream, etc etc??

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, just choose the fats you like. Nuts, seeds, avocados, oily fish, coconut oil, lard, olive oil are good. The meat will have some saturated fat anyway. The main thing is to low carb, you don't need to add masses of fats, just enough to satisfy your appetite.

The main thing is that you enjoy what you are eating then you will stick to it. :)

Reactions: 2 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
There is, walnuts, macadamia nuts, avocado, pork scratchings to name a few. I'm sure others will along to add other food.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yep, that's me!
I do have full fat yoghurt at night. But that's it!
As @zand has said there are good fats other than dairy.
Drink your tea black, like I have done for about thirty years.
You can get some lovely teas that help with diabetes like green tea.

You can cook with virgin olive oil or duck or goose fat, also coconut oil or even Lard or dripping.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't eat dairy - except a little bit of cheese in my cooking and a blob of creme freshe on my berries now and then. - reason one is I don't really like it and reason two it exasperates my psoriasis

I get my fats from nuts, avacado, cold oils in salads such as olive oil, like others have said you don't need massive amounts of fat - just don't go for low fat options - a spoonful of peanut butter is a good one but make sure it's a lower carb one. Pork scratching for a snack, eat the skin off the chicken and oily fish such as salmon and mackerel

Reactions: 5 people

Kazza25

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you all so much, there are some really brilliant ideas here that I hadn't actually thought of, I feel much better - and I DO love peanut butter! I will hunt out the low carb stuff . . . it's going to be a real change after being taught fats = baaaaad for all my life, but I am determined to get my diet right for me :)

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Thank you all so much, there are some really brilliant ideas here that I hadn't actually thought of, I feel much better - and I DO love peanut butter! I will hunt out the low carb stuff . . . it's going to be a real change after being taught fats = baaaaad for all my life, but I am determined to get my diet right for me :)
Hi Kazza25, If you like peanut butter like me make a peanut butter mug cake, GeoffersTaylor gave me this recipe I make them a lot.
2 tablespoons of peanut butter [ Tesco value one is 62p and good]
1 egg
beat together well in a mug
Microwave for 90seconds
Turn onto a plate
Eat on its own or with butter

Reactions: 5 people

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi Kazza25, If you like peanut butter like me make a peanut butter mug cake, GeoffersTaylor gave me this recipe I make them a lot.
2 tablespoons of peanut butter [ Tesco value one is 62p and good]
1 egg
beat together well in a mug
Microwave for 90seconds
Turn onto a plate
Eat on its own or with butter
That sounds good...though I don't have microwave...:rolleyes:...I can see me going to knock neighbours door and ask to borrow their microwave for 90 seconds..;)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And add oily fish - salmon, mackerel, etc to the non dairy fats and oils list. It's surprising when you start looking just how many sources there are.

Robbity
PS And there's also an occasional little piece of high cocoa (75%+) dark chocolate too... :D

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Meat isn't only protein, generally. Just get meat with lots of fat.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

Has anyone mentioned coconut butter? That is a great choice for cooking.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Meat isn't only protein, generally. Just get meat with lots of fat.
Agreed. :)

There's no need to overlook the simplest of all solutions. Back when I thought fat was bad I used to buy premium lean minced beef (3% fat) for about $6.50 per 500 gram pack, now I buy regular "3-star" stuff at about $4.20 for the same amount. So the extra fat (about 16% vs 3%) from this costs me about -$2.30 (negative $2.30). Good old animal fat hey, it's had such a bad rap that they pretty much pay you to take it away. :D

Edit: For the sake of accuracy I just re-did that calculation to take account of the fact that you also get less of the lean meat when you get more fat. Even correctly taking that into account, the extra fat in the mince is still a negative cost of approx -$1.40 per 500g pack. So I still reckon they're paying me to take that fat home. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

Has anyone mentioned coconut butter? That is a great choice for cooking.
I have seen coconut butter in the health food shop The Grape Tree it is expensive... everything from coconuts is expensive in there they even have coconut sugar and coconut jam.... how much different is the butter to coconut oil

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have seen coconut butter in the health food shop The Grape Tree it is expensive... everything from coconuts is expensive in there they even have coconut sugar and coconut jam.... how much different is the butter to coconut oil

Coconut butter is the same as coconut oil. Exactly the same - it is just that it goes runny at warmer temperatures, just like butter melts and goes runny when warm.

I should have said coconut oil in my post, but... I have the kind of brain that thinks a solid thing is a butter, and a runny thing is an oil. :D And my jar of cocnut 'oil' spends 11 months of the year sitting on my kitchen countertop rock hard, and 1 month (August) a bit softer. I have never seen it in its 'oil' form. :hilarious:

Reactions: 4 people

paul.mc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not breathing
I noticed it in "Home Bargain" store. Can't remember how much, but it was cheap.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I noticed it in "Home Bargain" store. Can't remember how much, but it was cheap.

It's cheap for a reason.
It's not going to be decent stuff, it'll be chemically recovered, and highly processed.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Since we are fueling our bodies with fat instead of carbs you want to look for high quality fats. Coconut oil should be unrefined at the least and organic if possible.
As others have said avocados nuts seeds olives and olive oils are great choices. I try to get more of my fats from plant fats vs saturated but that's a personal choice. I eat lots of fatty fish such as salmon and trout.