LCHF

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

HF? What about those with cholestrol and other lipid problems???
How do you manage the HF?

Thanks
Alicki

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi,

HF? What about those with cholestrol and other lipid problems???
How do you manage the HF?

Thanks
Alicki

Hi again, honest I'm not stalking you and this could have gone in our forum.

When I was really ill, my cholesterol along with every thing else was slowly going down the toilet. It was too high.
I was told to not worry about my cholesterol until diagnosis, then go from there.
So long story short, I got diagnosed, went on a low carb diet and my bloods dropped to normal levels, since having normal levels, all my problems including cholesterol has slowly resolved themselves.
The weight loss, which gets rid of the visceral fat and you fat burning instead from carbs, makes your body look after itself better.
Simples!
I wish!
It was hard but I got there!
All my good lipids are good, all my bad lipids are good!

Have faith in doing very low carb, it really works and it makes you feel better and the extra energy you get is so rewarding.

Reactions: 2 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i avoid saturated fat, definitely doesn't work for me.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am very low carb/high fat. My cholesterol and lipids are excellent. They have improved each test I've had.
I was concerned last summer when I dropped my carbs even more and increased my fats that my cholesterol would deteriorate. I had no need to worry. It was better than previously.

That is MY personal experience. It may not apply to everyone.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My cholesterol readings have all improved with LCHF. With me it's the carbs that are the problem not the fats.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apparently most of our cholesterol comes from our bodies and not from the food we eat, so we can't necessarily blame a higher fat diet for any high cholesterol issues.

I've been on my LCHF diet for over two years now and the fats I eat come from a variety of sources. My cholesterol levels are normal, and have actually come down slightly from previously when I was eating a higher carbohydrate diet.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to everyone! Définitely feeling better now i have got rid of dairy, bread and co and sugar

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
11 kilos lost in 6 months

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apparently most of our cholesterol comes from our bodies and not from the food we eat, so we can't necessarily blame a higher fat diet for any high cholesterol issues.

I've been on my LCHF diet for over two years now and the fats I eat come from a variety of sources. My cholesterol levels are normal, and have actually come down slightly from previously when I was eating a higher carbohydrate diet.

Robbity

Yes,
if you read the responses on various threads, there are at least three types of reaction to eating, and/or producing types of cholesterol.

1 - eat any type of fat, cholesterol comes down to within mainstream targets
2 - eat non saturated fats, cholesterol comes down to within mainstream acceptable targets, eat saturated fats, cholesterol goes up to above mainstream acceptable targets
3 - eat any type of fat, mainstream targets are wrong, and the figures you have are correct by other standards.

I'm in category 2.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes,
if you read the responses on various threads, there are at least three types of reaction to eating, and/or producing types of cholesterol.

1 - eat any type of fat, cholesterol comes down to within mainstream targets
2 - eat non saturated fats, cholesterol comes down to within mainstream acceptable targets, eat saturated fats, cholesterol goes up to above mainstream acceptable targets
3 - eat any type of fat, mainstream targets are wrong, and the figures you have are correct by other standards.

I'm in category 2.

You will probably reply but, I think the importance of losing visceral fat has a lot with how we regain normal cholesterol readings. And I think that, low carb helps the insulin resistance, so there aren't the imbalance of insulin/glucose and other hormones that play havoc with our bloods.
The amount of fat does come into it because we need full fat when we burn energy from our muscle fat rather than carbs.
I can't do any other fats for some reason than natural fats, mono and polyunsaturated just don't agree with me.
There is a lot more going on than bringing it down to fats.
And as usual when we discuss these things, it's individual to all of us.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You will probably reply but, I think the importance of losing visceral fat has a lot with how we regain normal cholesterol readings. And I think that, low carb helps the insulin resistance, so there aren't the imbalance of insulin/glucose and other hormones that play havoc with our bloods.
The amount of fat does come into it because we need full fat when we burn energy from our muscle fat rather than carbs.
I can't do any other fats for some reason than natural fats, mono and polyunsaturated just don't agree with me.
There is a lot more going on than bringing it down to fats.
And as usual when we discuss these things, it's individual to all of us.

You can be type number 4 then - saturated fats only. :)

(Although I would be lost without my olive oil on salads).

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I must have 100% virgin olive oil, can't cope with any of the others, and not for the want of trying!
You can be type number 4 then - saturated fats only. :)

(Although I would be lost without my olive oil on salads).

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a bit of trepidation when I started very low carbing.
Switched from low carb, trying not to eat too much fat,
to Very low carb, as much fat as I liked.

Tried to eat oily fish twice a week at least, coconut oil, rapeseed mayo (Helmans), olive oil, basic and extra virgin - and ended up eating the combined output of several dairy herds of double cream and cheese.

Was MOST curious to discover my cholesterol changes after a year
(nervous too!)

Total cholesterol had risen a tiny bit to hit the 'lowest all cause mortality' number
Trigs (the bad ones) had dropped from 1.1 to 0.9 (very pleased)
and my HDL had risen nicely (sorry, can't remember the actual numbers)

So I breathed a huge sigh of relief and decided that high Saturated fat works for me.

Very pleased.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok Im on avocados and olive oil - what does that make me? I havent got further than that at the moment.

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
What other kind of fats can i eat (no dairy!) ? Thanks. Im trying to get my head around this

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Oily fish

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Plenty of oily fish - it has many benefits.
Nuts
Beef, pork and lamb
Chicken including the skin
Eggs
Fry ups with bacon etc.
Mayonnaise

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I must have 100% virgin olive oil, can't cope with any of the others, and not for the want of trying!

So they don't disagree with you then?
We both find monounsaturated fats healthy. :)

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok thanks!!!!