LCHF

nebraska_beauty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
anchovies
I went to see my doctor yesterday to discuss blood results. I have been on the LCHF diet for one month and was feeling great and lost 9 lb. I was hoping for some good results but was told over the three month measurement period for HBAC1 that my blood glucose had increased from last year. and is now 63. I told my doctor about HCLF and he told me it is not working and the one and only cause of type 2 diabetes is weight. I said I wanted to give it time to kick in as I had only been on it a month so the reading was taking in the other two months I had not been on it. He says the high fat part of the diet will make my weight increase and so my diabetes will get worse and rather than being involved with diabetes Uk I should let him manage my condition. I am 5'8 and currently 13 st 12 lb although I do a lot of exercise and am quite an athletic build rather than fat. He says I have to be 11 stone. I am now very depressed and downhearted and wonder if it worth carrying on as I will never be 11st due to my bone and muscle build. He then said I should already be showing signs of kidney disease, eye problems and foot problems and it is only luck that I am not and I do not have a healthy future to look forward to at all. Also When I told him I hoped to reverse my type 2 he said that is impossible and that I will have it for the rest of my life despite the rubbish I am reading on the forum. After telling me that all the things I am eating (HFLC) was wrong he could not come up with anything helpful to eat except to say I should have less than 5 grams of sugar, less than 5 grams of fat and no carbs per 100 grams of product. I eat a lot of oily fish but he said that was fat and I eat fruit which he said was sugar so I only have myself to blame. I went shopping last night and could not find anything to eat under these new diet rules. I was feeling great till I went there and have felt better this past month and now I am just depressed again.

JRTwalker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think I would be depressed with your Dr nebraska_beauty !!
I am no expert here and there will be responses from those that know far more than me but I would contribute that you will need 3 months on LC diet and then see what your HbA1c reads? Your weight is not excessive and doesn't preclude high BG levels in my opinion. (my weight is 102Kg / 16 st but HbA1c now 37 and down from 100)
My advice is to try to minimise carbs but without countering with excessive calories and see what happens over next three months. Holding back repercussions of T2 seems demonstrably possible for many people as those on this forum will testify.
The trick is knowing what contains Carbs that you may not have thought did :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Don't feel down... Are you on any diabetes medication? Or diet controlled..?

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Check out the low carb recipes at https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes

Unfortunately many doctors have no clue about LCHF diet. However, if you check out the success stories on this forum you will see that a lot of people have managed to get their blood sugars down to normal levels using the LCHF diet.

DevonVee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are right you have only been lchf for one month. I have been insulin resistant for 25 yrs and no end of diets did any good because I have PCOS. The 2 months of lchf and I dropped 10lbs for the 1st time. So I would suggest you stop talking to your Gp and keep going. If you are worried about putting on weight check your calorie intake. But you have already seen a drop. My GP was much more supportive because I cannot take metformin.
Just think you will show him that he is wrong. All the research I have done outside this forum shows that a tide is turning amongst the medical profession. No one on this forum has a vested interest in plugging a diet. Except it works for quite a few of us. Keep your chin up.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think you should change your Doctor, one thing you need to do is to get a blood test kit , when you do you will see how what you eat causes your BS to go up.
I was like you not able to control my BS because I didn't know what it was. after six months with the kit im off Metformin and Gliclazide. now I control my BS with diet. and if I can do it so can anyone

Brian

nebraska_beauty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
anchovies
Thanks. I am determined to get off the meds with the LCHF diet and prove him wrong although he said I will have to take them the rest of my life with an increasing dosage year on year. he is the type who does not like patient input and would rather dictate than have a two way conversation. I would like to change doctors but live in a small village where he is the only doctor and others will not take you on if you are not in their catchment area

nebraska_beauty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
anchovies
You are right you have only been lchf for one month. I have been insulin resistant for 25 yrs and no end of diets did any good because I have PCOS. The 2 months of lchf and I dropped 10lbs for the 1st time. So I would suggest you stop talking to your Gp and keep going. If you are worried about putting on weight check your calorie intake. But you have already seen a drop. My GP was much more supportive because I cannot take metformin.
Just think you will show him that he is wrong. All the research I have done outside this forum shows that a tide is turning amongst the medical profession. No one on this forum has a vested interest in plugging a diet. Except it works for quite a few of us. Keep your chin up.
Thanks. If the tide turns among the medical profession I wonder if my doctor will be on it. He is still spouting the thinking of thirty years ago when he trained and does not like his patients to take any decisions or responsibility about their own care. I am carrying on LCHF regardless as it seems to be working for me

nebraska_beauty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
anchovies

nebraska_beauty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
anchovies
I am no expert here and there will be responses from those that know far more than me but I would contribute that you will need 3 months on LC diet and then see what your HbA1c reads? Your weight is not excessive and doesn't preclude high BG levels in my opinion. (my weight is 102Kg / 16 st but HbA1c now 37 and down from 100)
My advice is to try to minimise carbs but without countering with excessive calories and see what happens over next three months. Holding back repercussions of T2 seems demonstrably possible for many people as those on this forum will testify.
I never thought my weight was excessive either and I am fit physically. He just has his own views and has a one size fits all policy.
Thanks. I never thought my weight was excessive either and I am physically fit. he has a one size fits all policy and says it is all because of my weight. I am still on the LCHF diet and will see what happens in three months. Today I have done a 5 mile hike uphill and down dale without problems. If it was that bad and I am as overweight as he makes out I doubt I would be able to manage that either. I bet the athletes with body muscle weigh as much as me so would he tell them they need to lose three stone as well. So many poor doctors out there.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Lchf is not a ticket to eat tons of fat and protein. Keep an eye on protein as excess does turn to bs. .8-1g per kg LEAN body mass is recommended

So lc, moderate protein and JUST ENOUGH fat to satisfy is my mantra. You're still fresh in, give it time.

My docs almost killed me telling me to eat carbs. Seriously. They burnt out my pancreas.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was utterly miserable taking Meformin and a statin - life was not worth living. I was doing Atkins and suffering all the side effects from the tablets. I just gave up on them, stuck to Atkins and felt so much better. I am 18lb lighter and all my tests show close to normal numbers. I eat meat, fat - my cholesterol is down, I have salads, various veges, berries and melon - my BG levels keep dropping a little each week. The protein rolls from Lidl don't spike me so I get 8 of those each week. I think I eat very well and keep control with no trouble at all.
If you don't like the advice given to you there's not a lot the doctor can do to force you to follow it. I have lied to my doctors before now - when I had pre eclampsia when pregnant I went back to eating low carb foods and it went away - three weeks on 'healthy' carbs had brought it on. I am sure he suspected, but I had become so ill so fast that I think it frightened him.
Foods with the percentages he advises you to eat don't exist, but as he's the only option agree with him and promise to try harder - then stick with the low carb options as best you can. It has certainly sorted me out, and many others report the same results.

Reactions: Serena51 and neer

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It may be very helpful if you start testing your glucose level to find out where the glucose spikes are coming from.

Many food that we assumed to be low carb or low GI may affect us differently. So regular testing gives a clearer picture.

neer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This doctor is what's wrong with the diabetes world.

Dear you,
Do not be disheartened. Our body takes time to adjust and react differently so hang in there and be happy and motivated. It takes so much dedication to follow Diet plans and last thing you need is to hear ill words from a egotistical doctor.

Give your body some time to adapt. Get a meter. Test but don't get obsessive. Don't eat a lot. Exercise. Breathe. Life is a struggle and without struggle there is no room for improvement.