ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
The conclusion from the actual referenced study...
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3555979/
"Conclusion
Low-carbohydrate diets were associated with a significantly higher risk of all-cause mortality and they were not significantly associated with a risk of CVD mortality and incidence. However, this analysis is based on limited observational studies and large-scale trials on the complex interactions between low-carbohydrate diets and long-term outcomes are needed."

My cursory layman understanding is that those on Keto/low-carb diet are likely to die from something else...NOT CVD...

Then again...these are the limitations of such studies...
"The adjustment factors and the risk of bias among the studies are summarized in Table 2 and Table S1, respectively. Major confounding factors such as total energy intake were not stated in two studies. [23], [32] Few inspected any updates of the carbohydrate intake over the follow-up period. Protein source was added to analysis in 3 studies. [7], [9], [30] The risk of bias among the researches involved in the meta-analysis was low."

So we are free to interpret it in any way and wonder if it is really low carb... Frankly no one has any concrete data for long term effects of keto/low carb diet 5,10,15,20 years ...those who argue against it simply don't have the hard data at the moment because no researchers would be funded by pharma for such "dangerous" studies...
And furthermore.... Since diabetics normally die of heart problems. Well statistically based on death certificates. Then ruling out cvd for us and this leaves.? .......other causes.

I gained palpatations/ fast heart beat and dizziness since changing to low carb.

With a tendency to eat too low in iron too but that's due to not eating red meat and dark green veg enough per week.

I'm awaiting to see if weight loss and less insulin will stop my fast heart beat condition after bariatric surgery. I'll keep you posted.
The fact is I weighed far less when I started with fast heart beat. I now also get severe acid reflux too with added IBS accompanied by metformin side affects.

My change of diet has highlighted some gestational conditions with chest pains. So more meds are now needed.
Again thou i see what weight loss and a op can fix.

Low carb or high carb diets give me their own problems but low carb definitely reduces my bgs sooner. So it's a winner, for me.
A benefit of occasional weight loss also helps.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are a couple of embedded reports in this article that are also of interest to us diabetics. The links work, so these other papers can also be bookmarked if you want to.

Swiss Re is a major insurance reinsurer based in Switzerland, so are not medical experts, but obviously have a vested interest in studying mortality rates and risks. Their data is used by other gnomes of Zurich for trend analysis and financial risk assessments, so is not taken lightly. It is like Lloyds of London so this article is carrying some weight at last. It is however, a blog, so is only one POV for discussion rather than proof positive. But his title suggests that he is expected to be knowledgeable in this matter.

He says they are actively pursuing more involvement in this field, which is encouraging since by this they will attract more finance interest into this topic. It is clear that this guy is keeping tabs on recent research which is more than can be said about PHE et al.

Edit to add: I suspect this guy may well be active on this forum, and may be reading this thread,,,,, Just saying......

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last edited:
Reactions: kokhongw

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.