Left Right Left Right...Keep those legs moving sunny Jim!

RichardNY

Dislikes
People that feel the need to put others down in order to make themselves feel better. A closed mind. A Fiscal view of life. Oh and Emu he used to scare the **** out of me when I was a kid :-s
Having been given the direction to walk walk and well walk as much as possible (because of pvd) and to in general get those legs moving I embarked upon walking again today. I managed a 2.2 mile round trip to the park (uphill for the first part down hill the second) followed by a 20 minute rest and then surprisingly 10 continuous minutes of 'step' (just placing first my right foot then my left foot on the first step of my stairs and then stepping off with my right then left and repeating) I really couldn't manage any more due to crampy/shaky legs at that point and ended up with tingling in both little fingers on my left and right hands and on the outside of my hands.... but managed the 10 minutes without pausing or any real break in rhythm (minimal cramping :eek: )

Prior to going for the walk and the 10 minute step 'experiment' I had been pushing down on my ankle and lifting toes to 'warm up' as well as writing the alphabet and wiggling toes and doing the occasional toe press ups (as advised by the good people on here)... sometimes with pain and at other times without.

All in all a bit disappointed with the walk(prior to this most recent onset of leg cramps I had been doing between 4-6 miles per day) ... but surprised with the 'step' experiment. Which begs the question is the step exercise actually doing any good or am I doing a 'false' exercise that has no benefit ?

I have plenty of exercises for my legs, is there any specific arm exercises that are good for circulation that people use ?

Would Wii fit be of any benefit ?

All the best.

Richard.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Re: Left Right Left Right...Keep those legs moving sunny Jim

You can get hand grips, usually from sports shops, that may help your circulation because you squeeze them. Using hand weights may also help.

J

JohnFT

You could also try Therapeutic Putty which if I remember right comes in about 3 different strengths. Quite relaxing as you can sit for hours with that stuff squeezing it gently and setting your own pace. I also tried a Powerball after a recent shoulder operation. That was good fun and certainly gives your arms a good workout once you get the hang of it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Richard,

Keep doing what you are doing and in time your condition will hopefully improve. I love walking too and try to walk at least 5 miles every day. A good way to exercise the arms and improve circulation is to use Resistance Bands, it is a very gentle form of exercise and one my physio recommended for a shoulder injury.

Nigel

RichardNY

Dislikes
People that feel the need to put others down in order to make themselves feel better. A closed mind. A Fiscal view of life. Oh and Emu he used to scare the **** out of me when I was a kid :-s

Thanks all,

Hand grips, weights, theraputic putty (toally new on me!) and resistance bands all sound good and gives me a bit of variety in just mixing it up a little. I may just buy the wii fit package too as that has a resistance band in it and gives you tasks and gets me up on my feet too.

Thanks for the suggestions and as ever all the best.

Richard.

I also managed to squeeze an extra mile dog walk in last night so all in all not too bad ... but ouch my legs :?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

RichardNY said:
I also managed to squeeze an extra mile dog walk in last night so all in all not too bad ... but ouch my legs :?

Richard, I wouldn't walk half as much if is wasn't for my four-legged friend! :D

Nigel

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi
Please can some one tell me where to get resitance bands from I need more weight on :?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people