Leg Cramps?

fac8608

Over the last few weeks I have been experiencing a cramping sensation in my lower legs. It happens when I move my feet too far up or down. (If I turn my feet towards my knees or point them towards the floor. On pressing the muscles in the front of the calf on both legs it feels as though they are briused. The actual calf muscle feels normal until I move my toes towards the floor.
Basicaly.
1. Move feet towards knee and front calf threatens to cramp.
2. Move feet towards floor and actual calf threatens to cramp.

Stephen1972

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Over the last few weeks I have been experiencing a cramping sensation in my lower legs. It happens when I move my feet too far up or down. (If I turn my feet towards my knees or point them towards the floor. On pressing the muscles in the front of the calf on both legs it feels as though they are briused. The actual calf muscle feels normal until I move my toes towards the floor.
Basicaly.
1. Move feet towards knee and front calf threatens to cramp.
2. Move feet towards floor and actual calf threatens to cramp.
Ask your Doc to check your cholesterol meds. Had those cramps for years. A full nights sleep was a luxury.

Reactions: Freema

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are weeing a lot you may be flushing out important minerals - salt, magnesium, potassium, and possibly not replacing enough via your diet and this can also cause cramps.

Robbity

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
Mine do that sometimes. I more get it in my feet.
My Mum's doctor in the States advised her to drink tonic water, when she got leg cramps, the sort with quinine in it, and that works for us, though I am not sure why.
Sugar free kind of course, check it contains quinine, some doesn't.
Gin is optional.
You could try eating bananas for the potassium, but each one has 30 grams of carb, what can you do.

Reactions: MarkE

b34 blues

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to agree with drinking tonic to ease cramps in the legs I suffered terrible with cramps in my back legs for years and a friend said one day to try tonic water and yes it has worked for me

Reactions: MarkE

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @Robbity It is most likely a mineral deficiency (salt, potassium or magnesium). Personally I found adding salt to my meals worked. We do lose some of these minerals on a low carb diet. You could speak to your doctor and ask for the appropriate blood tests.

macabee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
People who think Diabetes is 'nothing much to worry about'
Mine do that sometimes. I more get it in my feet.
My Mum's doctor in the States advised her to drink tonic water, when she got leg cramps, the sort with quinine in it, and that works for us, though I am not sure why.
Sugar free kind of course, check it contains quinine, some doesn't.
Gin is optional.
You could try eating bananas for the potassium, but each one has 30 grams of carb, what can you do.
I would say gin is a given, with a slice of cucumber or lime!

MarkE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Woo
I'll confess to upper leg cramps occasionally, usually at night @4 in the ruddy morning...

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
Night cramps are quite common. My Doc has prescribed Quimine 300mg. Works for the most part. Have been on these for over a year. I also eat half a banana occasionaly. Mainly because I like them and it's a good excuse.;)