1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Leg Cramps?

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by fac8608, Oct 29, 2016.

1. fac8608

fac8608 · Member

Over the last few weeks I have been experiencing a cramping sensation in my lower legs. It happens when I move my feet too far up or down. (If I turn my feet towards my knees or point them towards the floor. On pressing the muscles in the front of the calf on both legs it feels as though they are briused. The actual calf muscle feels normal until I move my toes towards the floor.
    Basicaly.
    1. Move feet towards knee and front calf threatens to cramp.
    2. Move feet towards floor and actual calf threatens to cramp.

2. Stephen1972

Stephen1972 Type 1 · Newbie

Ask your Doc to check your cholesterol meds. Had those cramps for years. A full nights sleep was a luxury.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

If you are weeing a lot you may be flushing out important minerals - salt, magnesium, potassium, and possibly not replacing enough via your diet and this can also cause cramps.

Robbity

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. spendercat

spendercat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Mine do that sometimes. I more get it in my feet.
    My Mum's doctor in the States advised her to drink tonic water, when she got leg cramps, the sort with quinine in it, and that works for us, though I am not sure why.
    Sugar free kind of course, check it contains quinine, some doesn't.
    Gin is optional.
    You could try eating bananas for the potassium, but each one has 30 grams of carb, what can you do.

• Like Like x 1
  5. b34 blues

b34 blues Type 2 · Member

I have to agree with drinking tonic to ease cramps in the legs I suffered terrible with cramps in my back legs for years and a friend said one day to try tonic water and yes it has worked for me

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

I agree with @Robbity It is most likely a mineral deficiency (salt, potassium or magnesium). Personally I found adding salt to my meals worked. We do lose some of these minerals on a low carb diet. You could speak to your doctor and ask for the appropriate blood tests.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. macabee

macabee Type 2 · Active Member

I would say gin is a given, with a slice of cucumber or lime!

8. MarkE

MarkE Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'll confess to upper leg cramps occasionally, usually at night @4 in the ruddy morning...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. b34 blues

b34 blues Type 2 · Member

Yes mine only ever seem to come during the night also

10. MikePea

MikePea Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Night cramps are quite common. My Doc has prescribed Quimine 300mg. Works for the most part. Have been on these for over a year. I also eat half a banana occasionaly. Mainly because I like them and it's a good excuse.;)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook