Legs

Autumn93

Hello, I was diagnosed with type one in may and since then I think I've dealt with it quite well I do low carb and my levels are always between 5-7.5 I'm most probably still in the honeymoon period, however Im getting concerned as my weight hasn't changed I'm still the same as I've always been around 8 stone however I've noticed recently my legs have got really thin like sickly thin and I sometimes feel tingling in them. I have an office job but do an average amount of walking a week too so don't just laze around. Do you think this is something I should be concerned about? Thanks.

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like you could be losing muscle. Are you getting enough protein and fat n that low carb diet? Has daily calories been reduced since you started eating this way?

Autumn93

I think so I tend to eat the same every day I always have eggs and cheese for breakfast with a half of an avocado & it doesn't spike me, then lunch sometimes i have it which would be a chicken salad no dressing. Dinner I always have meat or fish & carbs which would be like potatoes or sweet potatoes or rice with a meal. I don't really calorie count I guess I haven't been worried as i haven't gained or lost weight. Il still have the odd treat too like a packet of crisps or a small cake but ive never been a big eater. Do you think more exercise is the answer not cardio just strength?

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
People often lose weight at diagnosis, which could explain legs getting thin. The easiest way to put weight on again is to increase insulin and eat more carbohydrate. But be aware that the body decides where to store this fat and it may not be where you want it.

Babsi

I'm quite similar to yourself, was diagnosed in may as well, both my legs and arms are a lot thinner and I'm not losing or gaining weight. I've been doing lots of yoga, walking and a bit of running to see if this helps. I'm taking hardly any insulin due to the honeymoon phase and have the tingling in my leg, very strange feeling.