lets talk about yogurt!

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
As a vegetarian I think meat is meat, which animal it comes from doesn't bother me, but I agree people need to know what they are eating. My main beef (see what I did there?) is processed foods and using deceitful advertising to convince us it is healthy and/or desirable. Hidden sugars in foods, pesticides, chemicals, that is criminal. My mantra is, how close is this food item to its raw natural state?
Very relevant point..these days

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
That is ideal @JACKTHELAD. I have an organic veg pack delivered which is mainly grown locally. I have asked them to drop the potatoes already and will now ask for carrots and parsnips to be dropped. They might drop me as a customer!
I plan to put in some raised beds in my garden but now having a rethink as to what I grow.
Try courgettes,cucumbers,marrows,peppers,all good for us.

Reactions: 2 people

bonkers82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Per 1 pot, it is
60 calories
0.1g fat 0.1g saturated fat
7.1g carbs, 6.6g sugars
6.4g protein

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
There are recipes on the net for making your own. I used to do it in a thermos flask when my children were younger and cash was low but now get a lovely full fat greek 'style' ( not made in Greece) yoghurt from Lidl, the label's Milbona, 3.2 g carb per 100g, but beware, it's addictive! Comes in great big pots. I'm T1, been reading posts about high fat low carb diets and interested to know how they'd work for a T1, must ask the doc.

1andylock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
just to put the cat among the sheep. I prefer the taste and texture of ther 0% greek yoghurts. And i LCLF. I dont want to eat fat and grease. Sorry not for me. And yes all my figures are good and i have energy and i am full. never been more healthy.

wizardo

I've mentioned this before, Manor Farm Smooth and Creamy, nothing like it. But difficult to find much outsde the area in which it is made Thrussington Leicestershire. I buy half dozen at a time. I think that I've tried most and this really is the kiddie. If you get the opportunity do try it.

richard256

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being on call
Trying to vary my diet, I like a yogurt now and again, but dont know which one to choose, I have been told Muller lights are a no no.... Can anybody suggest a yogurt for me x
Get yourself a yoghurt maker,there not expensive,and you can explore what is best to your taste.Richard

jeanie99

I am pre diabetic and
Full fat Yogurt is a NO NO if you have high cholesterol like I have.
You need to look at any medical problems you may have in addition to diabetes.
Just a thought.

Reactions: 2 people

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Evening to all, I am a yoghurt lover also, and I have to look around for the better one's.
I love Rachel's from Wales, their vanilla goes with any fruit, and I feel really full after having some.
I am also a lover of Longley Farm yoghurt's they do many flavours and are the full fat one's, they only add fruit and some raw cane sugar, to the pot I am a hazelnut fan.
Have you tried the Danio, higher protein one's from Danone?, they are really filling also.
I do like the Fage greek yoghurt also.

Yes trying to be healthy and a diabetic is a complicated job is getting things right is tough and an ongoing task, for ttfn from Karen.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Can any of these yogurts be safely frozen ?

I love the frozen yogurt's .
Better than ice-cream taste wise - I have found .
Enjoy them much more this way and style .

TokSik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not having sweet stuff to eat often enough !! But I make a lot of my own without sugars
Why not make your own. Just buy any type of yoghurt you really like, then take a couple of spoonsful and put it in a jug, then top it up with full fat milk (full fat usually has less carb (in the form of Lactose) than semi skimmed).
Then just pop it in the fridge and leave it for a day, then test it. If it's thick enough, add whatever flavours you like best and some sweetner to suit your own taste.
Most yoghurts sold are live culture - you just need to take advantage of that. The culture should burn off some of the lactose in the milk whilst it converts the milk to yoghurt.
It's generally a lot cheaper than factory made yoghurt.

Reactions: 4 people

1969Paula

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Trying to vary my diet, I like a yogurt now and again, but dont know which one to choose, I have been told Muller lights are a no no.... Can anybody suggest a yogurt for me x
I find that Easy yo yoghurt that you can make yourself is good. Natural and unsweetened greek are really nice. Just add some fruit to flavour it.

Spirit01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Medical term discussions
Just want to add my tuppence worth. I follow a LCHF diet and love it. I am able to now take on a bit more fruit because I like it. My typical day is - 5-6 walnut halves, 5-6 almonds, a few Goji berries, 200gm of Easiyo yoghurt for breakfast. Lunch is 2 boiled eggs, a few blackberries, a fig or blueberries. Dinner at night is normally a good portion of meat with all fat on, brussel sprouts (I love them) and maybe a few slices of carrot. At some point later in the evening I have a Ryvita with lashings of butter on. Result - weight dropping, blood pressure reduced, feel better, blood reading down to 48 (was 112), cholesterol very low. I'm a happy bunny and won't be convinced that any part of this is bad for me.