lets talk about yogurt!

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Trying to vary my diet, I like a yogurt now and again, but dont know which one to choose, I have been told Muller lights are a no no.... Can anybody suggest a yogurt for me x

Depends where you live. If you live in a big city, find a Turkish shop. The yogurt is a fraction of the price. So is the feta (last looked: 100g for £2 in Sainsbury's, 1kg for £5 in local Turkish shop). "Greek" yogurt priced similarly. (the Turks invented yogurt, btw, so don't ask them for "Greek" yogurt - it can be a touchy subject!). (And before anyone yells at me, check it in a food encyclopedia.....).

Reactions: 4 people

DianaRose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Alcohol, walking on stoney ground, cutting the grass,politicians in general!
Rachel's organic yoghourts - ginger,coconut, lemon are lovely and thick and go well with frozen cherries or blueberries for a breakfast.

Reactions: 2 people

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you know until my diagnosis I'd never tried full fat Greek yogurt - it's delishhhh. I've got the Asda one just now which is great, but my fav is Fage think it's called - bloody gorgeous

Reactions: 4 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you know until my diagnosis I'd never tried full fat Greek yogurt - it's delishhhh. I've got the Asda one just now which is great, but my fav is Fage think it's called - bloody gorgeous
You want to try the Turkish from Lidl's it's superb, I just find it bit thick, but it is lovely.
Neil

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
What about weight watchers Greek style
What is it exactly .... low fat no fat?
If so I think you'll find the majority on here go for the full fat.

cairnlady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morrisons own brand is good.

I make my own quite often using a Lakeland Yogurt maker (not easy yo) and using full fat milk. There is no sugar or sweetner in it and it lasts several days in fridge. Add berries to it.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Morrisons own brand is good.

I make my own quite often using a Lakeland Yogurt maker (not easy yo) and using full fat milk. There is no sugar or sweetner in it and it lasts several days in fridge. Add berries to it.
I make my own too.
Boil some milk cool it down to very warm (100f) stir in a spoonful of live yoghurt put in container put container in airing cupboard go back tomorrow youghurt.

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
I have Fage Total full fat Greek yogurt with a few berries added. It is sold in all supermarkets.

My favourite yogurt, shame I cannot have it with honey anymore. Raspberries and a pistachio topping perhaps?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
My favourite yogurt, shame I cannot have it with honey anymore. Raspberries and a pistachio topping perhaps?
I have honey in mine and banana.
I melt a little coconut oil in ... well quite a dollop actually half a banana and a table spoon of honey but that gets mixed into what will be four servings.
I'm convinced honey in small doses does more good than harm but ... I have nothing whatsoever to back that up other than having read a lot about the wonders of honey before I became a diabetic.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I use hard honey by the way which I melt with the coconut oil.
Runny honey is often fake now as it's cut with corn syrup and Chinese rubbish that is full of anti biotics.
The amount of honey laundering that has gone on over the years is frightening.
If you want to test your runny honey put a dollop into a glass of cold water.
If it dissolves fairly quickly then you've been had ... your gears been cut with sugar!

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I use hard honey by the way which I melt with the coconut oil.
Runny honey is often fake now as it's cut with corn syrup and Chinese rubbish that is full of anti biotics.
The amount of honey laundering that has gone on over the years is frightening.
If you want to test your runny honey put a dollop into a glass of cold water.
If it dissolves fairly quickly then you've been had ... your gears been cut with sugar!

Interesting analogy @JACKTHELAD, 'your gear's been cut' as I consider the food industry as being very much the bad guys in this world and not dissimilar to drug peddlers.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Interesting analogy @JACKTHELAD, 'your gear's been cut' as I consider the food industry as being very much the bad guys in this world and not dissimilar to drug peddlers.
I consider the food industry to be extremely corrupt.
How can you not know your selling people donkey and horse and God knows what when you're labelling whats in the packet or tin?
Bleached chicken etc.
The honey scam is dreadful.

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I consider the food industry to be extremely corrupt.
How can you not know your selling people donkey and horse and God knows what when you're labelling whats in the packet or tin?
Bleached chicken etc.
The honey scam is dreadful.

As a vegetarian I think meat is meat, which animal it comes from doesn't bother me, but I agree people need to know what they are eating. My main beef (see what I did there?) is processed foods and using deceitful advertising to convince us it is healthy and/or desirable. Hidden sugars in foods, pesticides, chemicals, that is criminal. My mantra is, how close is this food item to its raw natural state?

K

Kat100

For me yougurt is soya and sometimes weight watchers ....
I would buy fat free yougurt ,,,,but that is for my needs ...

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
As a vegetarian I think meat is meat, which animal it comes from doesn't bother me, but I agree people need to know what they are eating. My main beef (see what I did there?) is processed foods and using deceitful advertising to convince us it is healthy and/or desirable. Hidden sugars in foods, pesticides, chemicals, that is criminal. My mantra is, how close is this food item to its raw natural state?
Yeah even vegetarians don't get off lightly do they.
I try and buy local as much as possible and people around here grow a lot of garden food and small holding stuff that's chemical free.

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That is ideal @JACKTHELAD. I have an organic veg pack delivered which is mainly grown locally. I have asked them to drop the potatoes already and will now ask for carrots and parsnips to be dropped. They might drop me as a customer!
I plan to put in some raised beds in my garden but now having a rethink as to what I grow.