Letter from doctors

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
I received a letter from my doctors yesterday, please will I go and have a fasting blood test unless I am on certain medication in which case do not - nice to know it is personal (sorry sarcasm) - tests for everything, liver, heart, HbA1c etc etc - as I have also got annual eye test at hospital have decided to do both on same day - also will I drop by the surgery to pick up two sample bottles one to take with me when I go for my blood tests and the other to take with me when I go to see the diabetic nurse after having the blood tests done.............
Why two urine samples? Am I missing something - I just do not know why two test within weeks of each other for urine - if someone out there can explain to me please do as it really does frustrate me.

Anyway this will be my first HbA1c for 6 months because 6 months ago my HbA1c had dropped to pre-diabetic levels - that was all I was informed of and that doctor did not want to see me -- no mention of when next test would take place or even if it would ever be done again - just no information - no explanation - is this happening to others?

No point in changing surgery as the other one in my area has an even worse reputation than my current one.

So having been wound up I am sorry I decided to vent a little here - friends just don't understand the frustration that lack of information can cause. Not looking forward to conversation with diabetic nurse but hopefully I will be able to follow good advice from here and smile and nod and say not a lot or I will be having yet another long discussion where she tells me I am not to test and all I need is the HbA1c results - well fingers will be crossed and will do my very best to get out of the surgery without letting my frustration get the better of me.............

Thanks for reading.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Just think how good you will feel when you get the improved results! You are doing what's best for you so, well done from me :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You do get used to it.
It takes time though.
I have an eye test in a few days - 6 months after the original blood test which diagnosed my diabetes. I was told that I had to organise it, at first, then that local opticians were no longer doing them and it was a hospital visit, but this appointment is for an optician just along the road from me - ho hum.
It is perhaps a better option than I have had from time to time where the doctor is ultra motivated to get you under control.
I had a bad experience when pregnant with my second child, was threatened with hospital and 'being fed properly' if I kept on eating low carb foods. I stuck to the diet sheet and in three weeks was seriously ill with pre eclampsia - all the fault of the low carbing, I was told. Luckily there wasn't a bed available, so I was allowed to go home with strict instructions to follow the diet - but I went back to low carb and had a miraculous recovery - all down to their insistence on proper healthy foods, of course.

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
Just think how good you will feel when you get the improved results! You are doing what's best for you so, well done from me :)
Thank you and I do hope you are right....

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I imagine the 2 urine samples are for 2 different things. The nurse will use a dip stick to test for a few bits and bobs. The other sample will be sent to the lab for full analysis. This happens to me, too, but it is all routine and nothing to worry about.

It sounds to me like your surgery works in a similar way to mine. GP's aren't interested and have little reason to be unless you are struggling. Their routine reviews are delegated to nurses and my details are on the computer to generate a letter inviting me to attend for blood tests at whatever interval is appropriate to me. 6 months or 12 months, depending on how well (or otherwise) I am doing. This system has worked for you - you have received your letter.

In my surgery, the blood tests and urine dip stick are done by an assistant (not a nurse). I also get weighed and measured, blood pressure and so on. When the results are back and the nurse has seen them either she will make an appointment with me or I can ring and make the appointment yourself. This is all routine and works well.

Reactions: mo53

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @srobertson06 your approach sounds very much like mine. Listen and smile then come home and do my own thing. At my last review I told the nurse I was going back on my low carb diet (as I had fallen off the wagon) . She told me that I shouldn't do that and then I gott the carbs at every meal lecture. I smiled , gave up and listened then went home and restarted my low carb diet. I recently was with my Doctor who was delighted with the drop in my hbac1 and my weight loss and perfectly happy when I said it was down to my low carb diet. It's just not worth getting cross with the nurse.