levels all over the place

dot

My nearly 13 year old has been having pretty crazy levels over the last week or so.

We went away for a few days last weekend and prior to that his levels had been good, especially as it had been half term so he was out and about doing stuff. While we were away they were abit up and down as we spent a lot of time sitting in the car and not getting much exercise. However I expected them to settle down again ince we got home.

Been home five days and they are still all over the place. eg Yesterday pre meal tests, morning 11.8, lunchtime 5.8, teatime 17.2, dinnertime 7.4, bedtime, 9.8, this morning, 12.5. He had his usual size meals, and when high, gave extra insulin to try to bring levels down.

The strange thing is there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason for it.
Visit to the DN on Tuesday but would be grateful for some ideas between now and then.
Been diagnosed for 16 months.

badmedisin

Hi!
What sort of insulin regime is your son on? And do you count carbs and have insulin to carb ratios? Maybe a dafne course could be useful.
Sadly for 13 year olds though, hormones are evil! I think most diabetics that age experience problems and seriously inconsistent levels because all the different hormones basically create chaos in most of the body's systems. What fun... I'm sure it'll settle down eventually, but a dafne course could help you learn how to adapt and compensate for the frequent changes he'll experience.
Good luck :)

dot

At the moment he is on very low base levels Novorapid - 2U breakfast, 3U at lunch, 1U tea time, 1U dinner. Lantus, 10U given at same time as dinner NRapid.

I did wonder if hormones might have something to so with it. We don't carb count as such although we do take account of what is for dinner and if it is a carb heavy meal, give abit extra.

hismom

hi,
we have had the same thing. My son is just 14 and was stable since diagnosise in october. All of a sudden his levels went really mad which we put down to a cold. Eventually we altered his base level which made it work again. I think he was coming out of the honeymoon period.

dot

We have increased his Lantus by 1 unit to 10 over the last few days and that does seem to be have improved things quite a bit. OH has taken him to see the DN this morning, so will find out later what she had to say.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Hi, could be worth bearing in mind that 1u of Novorapid in the morning won't necessarily have the same effect as 1u of novorapid in the evening? it is very personal however but to give you an idea, I use a different insulin to carb ratio in the morning, then a different one for lunch and then a much different one in the evening, even if I were to eat the same thing at all 3 meals! it can be tricky but if you pay attention to the doses and ratios whilst trying to figure out what works for your son, then you will find it easier to adapt and adjust as his hormones adapt and adjust! good luck :D