Levels gone crazy (like pre pump crazy)

H

Hooked

Sorry for so many separate replies, I'm not sure how to multiquote on here. Thank you everyone for the replies, they are helpful food for thought.
I'm probably over thinking things, but starting to wonder if gastric problems might be the fault. I notice (beyond what is recently happening) if I eat something like crisps the evening before bed my levels will stay pretty even until the following morning when I wake with a high(that would be 9 -12 hours after eating). I usually don't eat till round 11.30am or later as I don't feel hungry and get queasy if I eat before then. I belch constantly (so embarrassing!) I do occasionally randomly get so queasy I vomit; but this hasn't happened in several months now. I'm really hoping I'm over analysing!

Reactions: 2 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's interesting, wonder if that could be the cause. I'm in Northern Ireland though and diabetics here don't deal with Animas directly. Our supplies get ordered by the diabetes team at the hospital and we collect them once a month from there. I'll mention to the consultant on Tuesday that others have had issues with a batch though!

What batch number do you have? I looked at all mine (6 months worth almost) last night and I have 1 batch. Not ordering 6 month supplys again.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Generally speaking only.. If corrections are set up right and have worked previously and doing one correction doesn't work to being levels down.. Then change set.

In the case of accuchek pumps (rapid d's) look at the inside needle connector between set and tube and make sure that this hasn't bent before swapping the set over, it could be the connector needle that bent when connecting or reconnecting.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Generally speaking only.. If corrections are set up right and have worked previously and doing one correction doesn't work to being levels down.. Then change set.

In the case of accuchek pumps (rapid d's) look at the inside needle connector between set and tube and make sure that this hasn't bent before swapping the set over, it could be the connector needle that bent when connecting or reconnecting.

We dont have accuchecks we have vibes.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I know you do but accuchek users read this post too. Just general advice if normally corrections work then do look at changing the set straight after a correction not working...

H

Hooked

Set has been changed twice during all this. Correction dose brings levels down for a short time, before they begin climbing again.

I'm at a loss, have kind of given up trying to work it out at this stage (just had a good cry about how ***** this all is) and am hoping the consultant can make head or tail of it on Tuesday. In the meanwhile I'll attempt to get some basal testing done, but don't hold up much hope with the way things keep climbing. Of course if it's anything like pre pump it will suddenly just drop back to normal of it's own accord!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think DD's general advice is right for any pump. If something unusual happens, suspect the pump consumables first.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Set has been changed twice during all this. Correction dose brings levels down for a short time, before they begin climbing again.

That sounds like an infection, maybe an "occult" (hidden) infection, ie no obvious symptoms.

Have you tried increasing temp basal slowly, until BG levels out?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well as it happens Eng I am running unexpected highs and less than expected corrections at the moment. But I'm putting it down to my ratios shifting in the last few weeks, due to infection (finished) and my diet going to pieces

iHs

@Hooked although yr problem could be down to many things.....I suspect that your basal might need to change, even if you did a basal rate test 3 days ago, thats not to say that your basal is stable now. Your body might just need more insulin and this can happen at drop of a hat......sometimes theres a reason but sometimes there isnt.

Dont be afraid of increasing the basal.....as long as you can feel the hypo sensation and eat something, then thats fine. If increasing the basal gets you lower bg levels, then the set is working. If lower bg levels dont go down even with a large bolus, then theres usually a problem with set. If thats the case, then use yr insulin pen and deliver bolus and corrections that way.

H

Hooked

That sounds like an infection, maybe an "occult" (hidden) infection, ie no obvious symptoms.

Have you tried increasing temp basal slowly, until BG levels out?
I'm very nervous of increasing the basal after that hypo the other night and becoming unresponsive. But yes, you could be right on the infection front.

H

Hooked

@Hooked although yr problem could be down to many things.....I suspect that your basal might need to change, even if you did a basal rate test 3 days ago, thats not to say that your basal is stable now. Your body might just need more insulin and this can happen at drop of a hat......sometimes theres a reason but sometimes there isnt.

Dont be afraid of increasing the basal.....as long as you can feel the hypo sensation and eat something, then thats fine. If increasing the basal gets you lower bg levels, then the set is working. If lower bg levels dont go down even with a large bolus, then theres usually a problem with set. If thats the case, then use yr insulin pen and deliver bolus and corrections that way.

I only occasionally pick up on a hypo myself. Hypo awareness has improved a little over this last few months though. The correction doses seem to bring things down after 2 hours, but 4 hours later I'm back to square one.

How much of a bolus percentage increase would be a safe starting point do youse reckon?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If the hypo the other night was from corrections - and maybe more/stronger than usual corrections - then tweaking basal up slowly is very low risk compared to that. Maybe add +10% per day until your BG starts to level out, and starts to respond to corrections properly.

Reactions: 4 people

iHs

There is a basal rate adjustment table that can be used..... I did a link to it a while ago.... look up the thread....basal rate blues

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
CarbsRok is right Animas have numerous faulty batches doing the rounds. After the comment about the American forum I went on the hunt and found this issue on lots of pump forums. Animas have changed manufacturers and the new (cheaper I'm sure) sets aren't as good. One pumper has found a serious fault with the inset 30 that Animas won't resolve. I am really annoyed by their attitude and now thinking of not choosing a vibe for my renewal. Another friend on a vibe has just sent her sets back due to huge highs and she had different batch to me but same problems. We all need to complain and only then they might do something.

Reactions: 3 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
CarbsRok is right Animas have numerous faulty batches doing the rounds. After the comment about the American forum I went on the hunt and found this issue on lots of pump forums. Animas have changed manufacturers and the new (cheaper I'm sure) sets aren't as good. One pumper has found a serious fault with the inset 30 that Animas won't resolve. I am really annoyed by their attitude and now thinking of not choosing a vibe for my renewal. Another friend on a vibe has just sent her sets back due to huge highs and she had different batch to me but same problems. We all need to complain and only then they might do something.

Ooh tell me more what's the fault with the inset 30's please as I use them.